My chickens are begging -- LOUDLY! Help!

kmiddleton66

Hatching
Mar 9, 2016
I'm afraid I have made the mistake of spoiling my flock . They "beg" for their morning treats - Squawking loudly and waking us up! Any ideas on how to break this habit or do I just go "cold turkey"??

Hmm...I'm not sure. Perhaps you could cut off their supply of treats and see if that helps? I don't really have much advice as we never really give our chickens many treats (I'm a bad chicken mama
lol.png
). Or you could start giving them treats at a different time, say, in the middle of the day or in the evening, so that they don't wake you up squawking in the morning, but start to squawk at a different time when everyone's awake.

Last edited:
You could put treats out in the dark after they are on the roost... that way when they wake up
1f917.png
1f917.png
1f917.png
surprise treats!!!

I also don't give many treats, but I don't feel bad because I get many many eggs and I know they are healthy happy birds!!!

First thing in the morning is not a good time for treats. It's the time of day where they should be filling their crops with their feed. Filling up on treats can cause serious nutrient deficiencies. It's sort of like letting a child eat their dessert before their dinner.

You could put treats out in the dark after they are on the roost... that way when they wake up
1f917.png
1f917.png
1f917.png
surprise treats!!!

I also don't give many treats, but I don't feel bad because I get many many eggs and I know they are healthy happy birds!!!

This is actually a very good approach to giving treats at any time of day - it disconnects their association of you as the source of treats as they simply "discover" the goodies vs. seeing you come out the door and bring them to them -- so that there is no reason to try to get your attention to come out and give them treats in the first place.

welcome-byc.gif

I decline to have my animals dictate my actions or my schedule. I'm the human, I decide what I do and when. I have so many animals that, were I to bend to their whims and desires, I would do literally nothing but cater to them. I feed when I decide to, no matter how they beg. I know they're not starving, no matter how much fuss they make. It's just like a kid begging for candy or chips or something....ask my kids how well that worked out for them
wink.png

If my hens were actually waking me up, I would give no treats at all. For a few weeks. It's a matter of conditioning/training. Then, if/when I decide to give them some, it would be in the afternoon, or at varied times. Not every day on a schedule. Spend time with them without the treats, or give the treats as you're leaving them. Shake things up.

welcome-byc.gif

I decline to have my animals dictate my actions or my schedule. I'm the human, I decide what I do and when. I have so many animals that, were I to bend to their whims and desires, I would do literally nothing but cater to them. I feed when I decide to, no matter how they beg. I know they're not starving, no matter how much fuss they make. It's just like a kid begging for candy or chips or something....ask my kids how well that worked out for them
wink.png

If my hens were actually waking me up, I would give no treats at all. For a few weeks. It's a matter of conditioning/training. Then, if/when I decide to give them some, it would be in the afternoon, or at varied times. Not every day on a schedule. Spend time with them without the treats, or give the treats as you're leaving them. Shake things up.

agree

I'm afraid I have made the mistake of spoiling my flock . They "beg" for their morning treats - Squawking loudly and waking us up! Any ideas on how to break this habit or do I just go "cold turkey"??
Sounds like they have you well trained! I don't give my chickens much for treats. Kitchen scraps, but that's it - and that happens when we decide it will - not when the chickens are making a fuss.

welcome-byc.gif

wink.png

^^^^^ This.

Back
Top Bottom