My chickens are broken

Russ13

Chirping
My chicks are a little over 5 weeks old. They eat there feed but they don’t like scratch and meal worms. I thought they would go crazy for meal worms so I got them a bag at tractor supply but they barely touch them. They will however go crazy for some scrambled eggs. Strange little birds
5C5026A2-B31E-4C1B-949A-834589186E7A.jpeg

My chicks are a little over 5 weeks old. They eat there feed but they don’t like scratch and meal worms. I thought they would go crazy for meal worms so I got them a bag at tractor supply but they barely touch them. They will however go crazy for some scrambled eggs. Strange little birds View attachment 3012801
They are just young and haven't figured it out yet lol I would not feed them that crap yet. I would wait for a year at least let them get into laying routine and such. I would feed right before the winter after a year...because they are trying to fatten up. So they are more willing to try stuff I have noticed

It is rare to have a bird snub mealworms - especially live ones, but I know most members of my flock snub earthworms, but I have one girl that goes crazy for them.

Now is a good time to get them accustomed to treats and to 'treat train' them to come to a specific noise or call. (Really good when a girl goes MIA or they sneak over the fence.) You could try hand-feeding or sprinkling them in a bowl with feed so they learn to associate them as a food source. Millet sprays and sunflower seeds are another good treat to offer.

I'm sure it'll be love at first taste!

Introducing delicacies like these can also help when encouraging sick birds to eat later on down the track. Just remember, everything in moderation. Treats should not supplement feeding ad-lib, and pelleted is best for this to ensure their diet remains well balanced. As you've just discovered, they can be picky eaters, which can lead to them snubbing or gutsing portions of loose feed and off balance their nutrition (not to mention wastage from scattering feed to get to the good bits).

My chicks are a little over 5 weeks old. They eat there feed but they don’t like scratch and meal worms. I thought they would go crazy for meal worms so I got them a bag at tractor supply but they barely touch them. They will however go crazy for some scrambled eggs. Strange little birds View attachment 3012801
May i ask what their in? That looks so big! Like a barn

Ah yes when I give them something new they’re like “NO NO NO wtf is this!” Then I leave it there, they’ll eventually try it and the next time I give it to them they’re like “YESSS! This is good!”

I thought they would go crazy for meal worms so I got them a bag at tractor supply but they barely touch them.

Mine didn't like them either.

I eventually finished the little bag and never bought another one.

They do, however LOVE the Dubia roaches my sister gives me (she breeds them for her reptiles).

Back
Top Bottom