My chicken's are dying and have bleeding cloacas!

I have a hen, who just hatched 5 chicks. But now as she got off the nest she is bleeding from her vent. She is taking care of the chicks and eating and drinking herself. Her droppings are runny but as I said she has just gotten off the nest so she wasn't eating much if at all while on the eggs. What is wrong? What should I do?

I massaged her lower abdomen for a few min
utes to help with constipation. It worked. She pooped what seemed like rocks. Best guess is she was bound up from sitting for three weeks to hatch.. Hopefully she recovers ok. Would be a shame for a mom who went through that to not enjoy get babies. Hope this helps others in same situation.

What is the vent I read others talking about? New word for me in relation to chickens.

Found this article about bleeding as I have a hen just today with same issues, she is now separated

So sorry about your hens.

If your hens have had bloody DROPPINGS along with bloody vents, this could be coccidiosis.

If they are having trouble passing eggs, they could be eggbound. Sounds like this is indeed the problem with your current hen, although there could be other factors involved.

For the short term, I would recommend a nice warm "sitz bath" - - if you have an old dishpan, or if you dearly love your gal and are willing to let her occupy your sink, run nice warm water in it -- enough to cover her bottom -- and gently hold her in it for 5 minutes or so. This can help relax the vent and help her pass the egg. [be sure to dry her off well afterward.]

What are you feeding your chickens?

What is your weather?

Are there other symptoms? Are they pecking each other's bottoms?

Hope that helps as a start. Good luck, and please keep us posted.
I found a massive amount of blood on the poop boards in the roost nobody was picking at each other and I know some of the eggs are really really huge I have 16 birds and nine are laying I checked their bottoms I wouldn't even know which one is excreting the blood not sure what to do

Attachments

• 84197471-658E-41A0-8CED-25E4419D5B4F.jpeg
    84197471-658E-41A0-8CED-25E4419D5B4F.jpeg
    458.8 KB · Views: 4
If you could do a necropsy, you would be able to see the broken egg shells inside of the hens. The blood loss from the shells breaking the thin tissue inside of the vagina is what is causing their deaths. And no, it is not a happy death.

You can go to any feed store and request oyster shells. When you have them, get a small container...doesn't really matter what it is, then put the oyster shell in the container. Offer the oyster shell to the hens nonstop. Do not take it out. The hens will get what they need when they need it.

I have a 25 lb. sack of oyster shell and it has lasted me...oh..1 year now??
I know that this was a comment from such as long time ago and you may not be active or available, but this thread is describing what I think is happening to my olive egger. My issue is I can not seem to get her to eat the feed unless I mix it with raw egg or yogurt. She acts totally normal and healthy but paces by the run to get out and free range. When I let her out or give mealworm treats, she acts like she is absolutely starving. She has access to Kalmbach layer feed as well as oyster shells, I just never see her eat it. Everyone says they will eventually eat but I am seriously worried she is going to starve herself. Today she laid what was just yellow and blood. I can tell she is trying to lay something but it is always messy. The way you described it above, I think you are right. Today I have been taking her inside regularly to mix her yogurt, egg and her feed and she will eat it. Do I just have to do that for a long time? Do you have any thoughts on why she may not be eating? (It is not a bullying issue, as she is top lady)

Back
Top Bottom