My chickens are dying

Shakil Ahmmed

Hatching
Feb 12, 2020
I have some chickens in my backward. Four days back I bought 3 new chickens. Yesterday all of a sudden an young chicken of my old flock died without any symptom. Today I saw another chicken of that group was behaving abnormally like it is having heart attack. It assumes that it will die soon too. I don't know what may be the reason is. If anyone have any idea please help me out about what should I do.

Sorry to hear about your chickens. Did you separate the new chickens before introducing them into your flock? It's possible the new chickens have passed something onto your old chickens.

I have some chickens in my backward. Four days back I bought 3 new chickens. Yesterday all of a sudden an young chicken of my old flock died without any symptom. Today I saw another chicken of that group was behaving abnormally like it is having heart attack. It assumes that it will die soon too. I don't know what may be the reason is. If anyone have any idea please help me out about what should I do.
That might be the most frightening thing to happen... It's ok If you knew what happened. so you can avoid it from happening to the others... But If there is no symptom?

Welcome to BYC. What is your location in the world? What symptoms did you see in the birds who died? Was there any gasping or open beak breathing? It is hard to know the cause of death with getting a necropsy to find out if it was a respiratory infection or disease, or something else. Spending time with your flock may give clues, such as were certain ones kept from food and water, or did the new birds introduce a disease. A sudden death might be due to Newcastles or Avian Influenza in certain places. Sorry for your loss.

Are these meat birds or layers?

A chicken having a heart attack will flip on its back and flap until it dies. Usually when it dies the death posturing will end with the birds on its back and its legs abnormally straight. It is a very common occurrence with one particular meat bird breed (Cornish Cross) but rare with layers.

What physical position was your dead bird in?

Welcome to BYC. What is your location in the world? What symptoms did you see in the birds who died? Was there any gasping or open beak breathing? It is hard to know the cause of death with getting a necropsy to find out if it was a respiratory infection or disease, or something else. Spending time with your flock may give clues, such as were certain ones kept from food and water, or did the new birds introduce a disease. A sudden death might be due to Newcastles or Avian Influenza in certain places. Sorry for your loss.
Haven’t seen a reply about your geographic location, but Agree with Eggcessive.
If you are located in India, Pakistan, the Middle East, Philippines, Indonesia, Mexico or Central America Newcastle disease and Avian Influenza are quick poultry killers and quite common.
Sorry you are having problems with your flock.

Last edited:
I would ask the person or hatchery where you bought the chickens some questions. For example, whether the chickens are vaccinated for a particular disease.

I was actually gonna mention that yesterday... Such a silent killer for your animals. please be careful too. I believe it is transferable to humans too.

Back
Top Bottom