My chickens are eating dog poo! Is this normal????

My chickens do it all the time and they are still alive and well
smile.png
.I don't think it affect their laying.
idunno.gif

Ewwwwww! That is so gross but I am thankful to know that my chickens will be alright and that I'm feeding them ok. Hopefully when I get eggs it won't hurt them or us.

Mine eat horse manure and do just fine too. I think it all gets processed the same way anyhow. The eggs are really pretty and taste great!

some chickens do this but its not good for them cuz chickens are vegan so it could make them sick...

Chickens are omnivores. I have a hard time accepting they are vegan. They don't care how other animals are treated and will eat each other if they don't get enough protein or if one dies. If you mean they are vegetarian that isn't correct. They need protein and will eat other animals if they aren't getting what they need through bugs.
Chickens are barnyard pets and have eaten animal poop since their time began. It isn't the pretty side but most animals love eating other animals poop. Would I feed them poop, no! Does it happen yes.

well one year ago a weasel killed one of my chickens in the winter... and chickens dont always get enuf vitamins in the winter. but they never toutched that dead chicken and one time my friends dog pooped in the chicken house and the chickens never toutched it eather..
they never eat there own or any aniamls poop! but i bought my chickens $30 a bird and they are pure breads so id say thats why your some of your guys chickens eat poop. of maybe poop eating was in the chickens bloodline. and when god made chickens he made them to not eat meat. but mans doings bread the poop eating ones to the pure ones and thats how it all started... buy the way none of my turkeys ever ate poop in there hole life. so maybe its something i feed them that makes them not eat poop. cuz i dont buy there food from the pet store. i go to my grocery store and buy natural chick pees,tomatos,apples,water lemons,spinitch,seeds and things like that..
wink.png

Ok first of all the animals God made still act the way he designed them. And chicken no matter what breed eat what they want and like. Mine are meat eaters, i have never seen them eat poop but that doesnt mean they dont. Bugs are protien as are some other things. If they were solely herbivores they wouldnt touch meat no matter what their breed was. Cows wont eat meat neither will horse however putting animal protien in their feed then yes they dont know and have little choice. Throw steak to a horse and they wont touch it throw a steak to my hens and watch the show begin.

well my chickens never eat meat even if they see it or poo they never eat it.. and i have been talking to mean people all day so this dont help

well my chickens never eat meat even if they see it or poo they never eat it.. and i have been talking to mean people all day so this dont help
Honey, when someone corrects you, or says something you don't want to believe, it's not being "mean" to you. People are trying to teach you. Chickens - all chickens - are omnivores. This means they eat meat and plants. They will eat bugs, mice, small snakes, lizards and even small birds if given the chance. This is how God made them. And yes, sometimes they will eat their own manure, or that of dogs, horses, cows, sheep... the list goes on. They're really not that fussy. Not even your $30 chickens. Unless you are with them all day every day, you honestly have no idea what they're eating. Chickens need protein in their diet, just like any other animal.

You appear to be quite young, so I'll tell you this - many people on this forum are adults and experienced chicken keepers. They love to help those who are just starting out by sharing their experience. Read and learn. Instead of arguing or calling people "mean" because they don't say what you like, do some research and find out if others say the same thing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom