My Chickens are eating the House!

ChickyBabe

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 14, 2007
Wisconsin
My chickens have taken to consuming my house. I give them lots of food and lots of bugs, but they prefer the house. My dad doesn't like it.
barnie.gif

The chickens eat the pink foam insulation. It doesn't seem to hurt the chickens, but the house is being damaged slightly. Does anyone know a way to stop my chickens from this nasty habit?

2135_photo_39.jpg
D.gif

♫ChickyBabe♫

Last edited:
Wow - What coincidence. I expanded the temporary run area for my chicks until I mix them in with the adults in the big coop/run. Last night I came down to check on them, and they were pecking at a big styrofoam cooler I had sitting there. I quickly removed it, but was worried it would make them sick.

Didn't seem to hurt them so far, but man, were they attacking it!

hello !
chicken like the red and pink colour!
you can change your insulation colour with blue, because the blue is the colour that poultry doesn't like(not doesn't like, I mean they will not eat them!).
Of course this may be caused by mineral deficiensy!
if they are using the soil or such materials on wall around there or they are eating themselve's wing, its because of minerals deficiency !!!
you can use mineral supplementes!
anyway you can do one of these ways!
wish be useful!

We tried covering it with a board but there was a tiny space in between and they want under it and ate it that way.

Maybe I can spray paint it? I hope that will work.
fl.gif

Just running in to walls
he.gif

♫ChickyBabe♫

P.S. The eggs are green and white and brown and tan
bun.gif

The chickens are doing you a favor. When you have that styrofoam insulation going from the ground to wood frame on your block work that is an invitation for termites. It gives them good cover while they go from the ground to wood work and keeps them from drying out. If you don't believe me talk to a termite inspector but if the house were mine that would be gone. http://agr.georgia.gov/00/article/0,2086,38902732_0_41341586,00.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom