My Chickens are eating the House!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickyBabe, Aug 5, 2008.

1. ChickyBabe

ChickyBabe Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2007
    Wisconsin
    My chickens have taken to consuming my house. I give them lots of food and lots of bugs, but they prefer the house. My dad doesn't like it. [​IMG]

The chickens eat the pink foam insulation. It doesn't seem to hurt the chickens, but the house is being damaged slightly. Does anyone know a way to stop my chickens from this nasty habit?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

♫ChickyBabe♫

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  2. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    The only way I know to stop them is to cover it. They love that stuff!

3. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

what color is your eggs [​IMG]

4. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    Wow - What coincidence. I expanded the temporary run area for my chicks until I mix them in with the adults in the big coop/run. Last night I came down to check on them, and they were pecking at a big styrofoam cooler I had sitting there. I quickly removed it, but was worried it would make them sick.

Didn't seem to hurt them so far, but man, were they attacking it!

5. ahad

ahad Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2008
    IRAN
    hello !
    chicken like the red and pink colour!
    you can change your insulation colour with blue, because the blue is the colour that poultry doesn't like(not doesn't like, I mean they will not eat them!).
    Of course this may be caused by mineral deficiensy!
    if they are using the soil or such materials on wall around there or they are eating themselve's wing, its because of minerals deficiency !!!
    you can use mineral supplementes!
    anyway you can do one of these ways!
    wish be useful!

6. fivebigreds

fivebigreds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    i don't know what styrofoam reminds them of but, they think it is yummy and eat all they can get.

7. ChickyBabe

ChickyBabe Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2007
    Wisconsin
    We tried covering it with a board but there was a tiny space in between and they want under it and ate it that way.

Maybe I can spray paint it? I hope that will work. [​IMG]

Just running in to walls [​IMG]

♫ChickyBabe♫

P.S. The eggs are green and white and brown and tan [​IMG]

8. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    If it is soft enough to pick at, they will most likely eat it. Best to cover it ASAP.

Good luck!

9. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I wouldn't spray paint it....they'll eat it any ways and the paint might make them sick.

10. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    The chickens are doing you a favor. When you have that styrofoam insulation going from the ground to wood frame on your block work that is an invitation for termites. It gives them good cover while they go from the ground to wood work and keeps them from drying out. If you don't believe me talk to a termite inspector but if the house were mine that would be gone. http://agr.georgia.gov/00/article/0,2086,38902732_0_41341586,00.html

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by