MY CHICKENS ARE KILLING EACH OTHER!!

Thank you and yes this is my first start with chickens I have always wanted some started with eight now down to two due to predators I live in south Georgia grew up on farm crop not animal farm spent more time in woods hunting than anything and I've never seen a weasel here.. I'm going bring my hens in at night for there safety I feel so bad for them cause they are just helpless it's kinda like shooting fish in a barrel for whatever is getting them at night I'm going get hardware cloth and redo my entire run and coop hopefully I can catch this predator in my yard I was hoping the live catch trap would get it so I could let it back loose somewhere else but I probably will exterminate this one I was going get some ducks but not going to risk anymore lives till it's rebuilt all the time and effort and money gone from probably one raccoon oh well live and learn just can't let it happen again

Good luck with everything. I'm sorry you lost those chickens, but now you have a chance to really protect your other two. Then when you're finished you can add more chickens and ducks :)

Don't get too discouraged - all of us who have had chickens for a while eventually suffer some predation, usually through inattention to details. And predators are very good at taking advantage of that - they have to for survival.

We all learn stuff the first time at this - I started out with chicken wire while setting up, then read some more and took it down and started over with 1/2 inch hardware cloth. Two big rolls of chicken wire went to the landfill. Even though my run is fairly secure, I would not trust it at night, so the chickens are locked up tight in their coop, nothing can get it, and I mean nothing. Maybe the hogs that tore through here last year might knock the thing down if they come back, hopefully not. They eat the acorns we have everywhere in the fall.

I suggest you edit the title of this thread so people don't freak out when they see it and waste time reading through all the posts. Thanks. :)

Good luck with the bird. Keep us updated!

Last edited:
Good luck. I have had disappearances. Ended up sitting out one night and found a dog jumping a 4 foot gate. Had to replace the gate with a 6 foot tall one. My chickens are not kept in a coop I let them run free on a 1/4 acre they have a coop set up but they prefer to sleep in trees and lay eggs in the coop

Back
Top Bottom