1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chickens are playing mind games

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by horsejody, Jan 13, 2009.

1. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I have an 8 hole nest box. Of course, they only use 2 boxes out of the 8. I keep a fake egg and a golf boll in each of the 2 nests that they use. About a week ago, one of the fake eggs disappeared. I looked all over the coop for it. I dug in the straw of the nest boxes. No fake egg. It was gone. Last night when I went to the coop to count heads, I saw an egg in the nest box that wasn't there earlier. I went back to get it. I swear they were all laughing at me. It was the missing fake egg. They removed the egg and hid it, and a week later managed to get it back in the nest box.

2. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    I have 12 beautiful clean, safe nest boxes with golf balls, and the hens are hiding eggs all over the barn!

3. sara

sara Title Needed Here

That is just wild. I wonder how they could have gotten it back in there [​IMG]

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I used to have a hen, named Eggatha, that could move an egg anywhere. She would roll them everywhere, and could even manage to lift them a couple of inches into or out of the nests. She was killed in the dog massacre we had, but I guess she must have taught somebody else the skill.

5. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I don't know how they do it, but I have literally watched my chickens pick up an egg under their beak (next to their neck) and move it from box to box! I have one BSL who gathers all the eggs in the boxes into one and sits on them. It's the craziest thing I've ever watched!

6. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    IM glad you said that because I thought i saw one of mine do that but then again I thought I must be seeing things!!! [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Horsejody, I stopped mentioning on here that the very same thing was happening to me. The responses I got only reinforced my belief that I'm losing it in my old age.
    The golf ball would be in the nest, then it would disappear and a couple of days later re-appear. The fact that I could hear the hens giggling only added to my suspicions.
    Anyhow, once I stopped being comfounded by the trick and tearing the nest boxes apart looking for it, the hens stopped doing it. Guess I took all the fun out of it. [​IMG]

8. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    That exact thing happened to me! I never told a sole except my husband, because it sounded absurd. But my next boxes are a foot and a half off the ground, and one of the fake eggs in one of the boxes went missing. I have 5 nest boxes and 5 fake eggs. I searched high and low and could not find it. A few days later - it was in a nest box with another! I still can not imagine what they did with it - I KNOW it wasn't in any of the nest boxes.

This thread makes me feel better - I'd still like to know how they did it, but I KNOW they did it!

Penny

9. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    Wow, that's crazy!! Sneaky chickens!

10. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

I've had mine remove the fake eggs and bury them. Mine never put them back, though. One wooden egg seems to be gone forever. I have no idea where it went, I've meticulously cleaned out the coop twice since it disapeared. Sneaky little girls.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by