My chickens ate a mouse!

Iflyonhorses

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 1, 2009
Aiken, SC
I found a mouse that had fallen into a plastic bucket in my coop and couldn't get out. I felt bad for it so I took it out into the yard and let it loose a few feet from the fence, thinking it would zip through the fence and be gone. It did start trotting toward the fence, but before I knew what was happening my little Buff hen, Portia, came zooming out of nowhere and zeroed in on it like an F-16. She grabbed it, smacked it on the ground a few times to kill it and then ran off with my other 4 hens in full pursuit. Even though she's the low man on the totem pole she would not give it up and eventually ended up with her prize. I didn't stay to watch her eat the whole thing but she was really going at it. Yuk! I tell people that my chickens will eat anything, but that surprised me.

lol.png
Yes they will kill and eat mice if given the chance. I have seen mine do it on several occasions. Kinda nice they are able to serve more than one purpose!

you should see them play tug-of-war with a frog
lau.gif
then the winner get to eat it after a race around the yard. A chicken will eat just about anything that moves if she can catch it

Well, now I know why some people call them modern day velociraptors. Maybe I should put my chickens in my barn. My barn cat sleeps 10 feet from her food dish, while a mouse helps himself to lunch. Even if she sees him, she doesn't care unless she happens to be in the mood for a game. Then she bats them around and tortures them until she's tired of it and lets them escape. She kills a lot of baby bunnies, but not really interested in mice. Go figure.

This is exactly why I was so worried the day I slipped in the mud and fell on my back in the run.... my glasses all catty-wumpas on my face. A chicken got on my chest and peered into my face, while others gathered around me.

I thanked them all for "their concern" and got up on an elbow as quickly as I could. It was a while before I could lug my considerable weight up onto my feet again, and those dear little fluffy friends of mine pecked gently at my clothing as I did so.

I put pavers down the very next day.

I think it's clear that they ARE opportunists. I love my chickens, but I am very glad that they aren't as big as I am.....or that I'm not as small as a mouse.

Back
Top Bottom