My chickens ate a mouse!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Iflyonhorses, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Iflyonhorses

Iflyonhorses Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2009
    Sterling, MA
    I found a mouse that had fallen into a plastic bucket in my coop and couldn't get out. I felt bad for it so I took it out into the yard and let it loose a few feet from the fence, thinking it would zip through the fence and be gone. It did start trotting toward the fence, but before I knew what was happening my little Buff hen, Portia, came zooming out of nowhere and zeroed in on it like an F-16. She grabbed it, smacked it on the ground a few times to kill it and then ran off with my other 4 hens in full pursuit. Even though she's the low man on the totem pole she would not give it up and eventually ended up with her prize. I didn't stay to watch her eat the whole thing but she was really going at it. Yuk! I tell people that my chickens will eat anything, but that surprised me.

2. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    [​IMG] Yes they will kill and eat mice if given the chance. I have seen mine do it on several occasions. Kinda nice they are able to serve more than one purpose!

3. HennyJenny

HennyJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    Mine kill more mice than my stupid cat and he sleeps with the chickens! You would think he'd catch on.

4. CJW

CJW Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2010
    Great Falls, MT
    Quote:That's awesome!

5. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    Yea I seen one in my pen a couple weeks ago and it's not here now. I think it's funny to watch a hen with one in her mouth trying to run from all the others while still trying to eat it

6. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    you should see them play tug-of-war with a frog [​IMG] then the winner get to eat it after a race around the yard. A chicken will eat just about anything that moves if she can catch it

7. Iflyonhorses

Jul 1, 2009
    Sterling, MA
    Well, now I know why some people call them modern day velociraptors. Maybe I should put my chickens in my barn. My barn cat sleeps 10 feet from her food dish, while a mouse helps himself to lunch. Even if she sees him, she doesn't care unless she happens to be in the mood for a game. Then she bats them around and tortures them until she's tired of it and lets them escape. She kills a lot of baby bunnies, but not really interested in mice. Go figure.

8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    If chickens came twenty feet tall they'd eat YOU.

Protein is protein. They'll eat anything they can swallow and a few things you'd be quite certain they couldn't swallow.

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

This is exactly why I was so worried the day I slipped in the mud and fell on my back in the run.... my glasses all catty-wumpas on my face. A chicken got on my chest and peered into my face, while others gathered around me.

I thanked them all for "their concern" and got up on an elbow as quickly as I could. It was a while before I could lug my considerable weight up onto my feet again, and those dear little fluffy friends of mine pecked gently at my clothing as I did so.

I put pavers down the very next day.

10. Iflyonhorses

Jul 1, 2009
    Sterling, MA
    I think it's clear that they ARE opportunists. I love my chickens, but I am very glad that they aren't as big as I am.....or that I'm not as small as a mouse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by