My chickens ate a mouse!

Iflyonhorses

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 1, 2009
Aiken, SC
I found a mouse that had fallen into a plastic bucket in my coop and couldn't get out. I felt bad for it so I took it out into the yard and let it loose a few feet from the fence, thinking it would zip through the fence and be gone. It did start trotting toward the fence, but before I knew what was happening my little Buff hen, Portia, came zooming out of nowhere and zeroed in on it like an F-16. She grabbed it, smacked it on the ground a few times to kill it and then ran off with my other 4 hens in full pursuit. Even though she's the low man on the totem pole she would not give it up and eventually ended up with her prize. I didn't stay to watch her eat the whole thing but she was really going at it. Yuk! I tell people that my chickens will eat anything, but that surprised me.

txcarl1258

Songster
9 Years
Sep 11, 2010
Pleasanton
lol.png
Yes they will kill and eat mice if given the chance. I have seen mine do it on several occasions. Kinda nice they are able to serve more than one purpose!

Buck Creek Chickens

Have Incubator, Will Hatch
12 Years
Nov 26, 2008
Neenah, WI
you should see them play tug-of-war with a frog
lau.gif
then the winner get to eat it after a race around the yard. A chicken will eat just about anything that moves if she can catch it

Iflyonhorses

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 1, 2009
Aiken, SC
Well, now I know why some people call them modern day velociraptors. Maybe I should put my chickens in my barn. My barn cat sleeps 10 feet from her food dish, while a mouse helps himself to lunch. Even if she sees him, she doesn't care unless she happens to be in the mood for a game. Then she bats them around and tortures them until she's tired of it and lets them escape. She kills a lot of baby bunnies, but not really interested in mice. Go figure.

gryeyes

Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers
10 Years
Sep 22, 2009
My slice of heaven in Somerset, CA
This is exactly why I was so worried the day I slipped in the mud and fell on my back in the run.... my glasses all catty-wumpas on my face. A chicken got on my chest and peered into my face, while others gathered around me.

I thanked them all for "their concern" and got up on an elbow as quickly as I could. It was a while before I could lug my considerable weight up onto my feet again, and those dear little fluffy friends of mine pecked gently at my clothing as I did so.

I put pavers down the very next day.

Iflyonhorses

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 1, 2009
Aiken, SC
I think it's clear that they ARE opportunists. I love my chickens, but I am very glad that they aren't as big as I am.....or that I'm not as small as a mouse.

Top Bottom