My chickens ate my neighbors grapes!

Quote:
Oh yeah, I buy them seedless grapes. I think it's one of their favorite snacks. And I agree with you.. if I want a fun time, I watch them grabbing grapes from each other. They are so f a s t at stealing them from my bowl! I gave them cooked oatmeal the other day and thougth they'd turn their beaks up at it, but they dove into it like it was a bowl of grapes. Too much fun!

I guess then I shouldn't be too worried about seeded grapes.

Quote:
You want to have a really fun time? Put the frozen grapes into a bowl of plain yogurt and let them dig for them! It's totally HILARIOUS! They get the yogurt on their beaks and look like they're doing one of those "got milk" commercials.

Thanks to all for your replies. I was so worried that I'd find dead chickens in the morning. WHEW!

I feed my chickens whatever seedless grapes we don't get through in a week. I've never read that they can't have them, and they've suffered no ill effects. Apple seeds I know have trace amounts of arsenic...I'm wondering what is in grape seeds?
hu.gif

I gave my girls green grapes and they didn't care for them. I wanna try red grapes, but green were on sale for .99 Good thing my kids love them!! I have read lots of threads on here about people growing grapes by thier runs to provide shade and a treat. I hadn't heard they were bad for them. I think I heard green tomatoes aren't good for them, and my kids gave them one, but they left it alone. I think for the most part, they know what they can eat and can't. Similar to them knowing when they need oyster shells and so forth. No Worries!!

GO for it. My chickens consider grapes, wild or store-bought a treat for all time. They will pick a bunch clean in seconds. Melon rinds are second best. I think they know what they need and like, as they only eat oyster shells and grit if they need them. Offer it, and they will know. I don't offer stringy things like celery based on common sense.

Mine can eat rasins faster than.....well, I don't know what, but its really fast. I think that there is some substance in the grape seeds, maybe arsenic, that isn't good in HUGE amounts for chickens, bit I can't remember exactly what the substance is. I wouldn't worry...

haha, throwing a big ol' clump of grapes way up in the air so when they hit the ground they go flying everywhere... well, my chickens just go absolutely crazy about it. never had a problem with grapes, they seem to love them... same with potatoes...

just my 2 cents... but most of those foods im sure CAN be toxic... IF that was their only ration... but your birds are eating bugs and weeds and feed and scratch and whatever other scraps they can get... like they say, too much of anything is a bad thing... they say not to give them potato skin, but if i throw a bowl of scraps out there maybe 1/8 of the birds might get a taste of potato, it gets fought over and lost in the dirt and finally some of it hits the back of their throat.. i dunno..

Yes, my chickens 'stalk' me when the grapes are in season (these ones are seedless). They're also love cherries.

Back
Top Bottom