My Chickens do not Roost on the Bar...What do I do?

PullumAmans19

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2017
Hi all! My chickens have settled in well and on has even started laying! It's very exciting! Anyways when they first came home the chickens slept like this (pictures below) I thought it was possibly just a faze but now they always sleep that way and never on the roost. even if it is warm out they sleep like this. Do I need to move the roost? what should I do? Any tips would be appreciated!
IMG_5696.JPG
IMG_5701.JPG

How high is the roost from the floor. Sometimes with young hens especially if you don't have other chickens already roosting you have to put them up there a couple of times to 'teach' them to roost up there.

How high is the roost from the floor. Sometimes with young hens especially if you don't have other chickens already roosting you have to put them up there a couple of times to 'teach' them to roost up there.
The roost is around 2 - 2 1/2 feet

You can try sitting them up there when it gets dark. It takes a few times doing it but once they learn they will start roosting up there. If they're young or heavy breeds they may have a hard time reaching a roost that high. You can add a bar at 16 to 18 inches to help them up.

Is the board above them the roost?

Turn it so the 4 inch side is up and lower it to one foot up. Once they start using it regularly you can raise it again.

Normal for them not to see it as a sleeping spot so I agree that giving them a lift may help.

Is the board above them the roost?

Turn it so the 4 inch side is up and lower it to one foot up. Once they start using it regularly you can raise it again.

Normal for them not to see it as a sleeping spot so I agree that giving them a lift may help.
The board is the roost. it's about 1 and 1/2 inch per side.

Hi all! My chickens have settled in well and on has even started laying! It's very exciting! Anyways when they first came home the chickens slept like this (pictures below) I thought it was possibly just a faze but now they always sleep that way and never on the roost. even if it is warm out they sleep like this. Do I need to move the roost? what should I do? Any tips would be appreciated!
View attachment 551149 View attachment 551150

You have large birds so need a more substantial roost. I suggest a 2x4 as they will be more comfortable on it.
Putting the 4 inch side up supports them nicely and in winter they will be able to cover their toes avoiding frostbite.

Mine sit on the very top bar towards the roof. It's about 4 1/2 get tall. When I go in there to sassy good night I get afraid that they might fall off . Plus pooping on my lol

Back
Top Bottom