1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chickens don't sleep in their nesting house...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenbuddy, Nov 10, 2009.

1. chickenbuddy

chickenbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Pretty self explanitory. They prefer to sleep huddled up together in a corner of the run...any ideas? Our nesting house is small but its big enough for them all to sleep in comfortably.

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    After dark put them in there. Put them in every night until they go in on their own.

3. THough1956

THough1956 Chillin' With My Peeps

25 of my young silkies refuse to go in their house either. They bunch up on top of each other in the corner. I go out everynight and put them in 1 by 1. You would think that by now they would get the hang of it! But noooooo. I really don't want them on the cold ground at night.

Good luck to you also:)

4. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    Two things might help...

First... lock them in the coop for a few days... I know it seems cruel but sometimes it works

Second.... you might try a light for a week or so for an hour every evening. I am thinking as it gets dark outside they will head toward the light inside?

Good luck

5. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Mine haven't slept in their coop since the summer. They're sleeping ON TOP OF IT!! The coop is in the barn so its not like they're exposed to anything. Nothing can get them where they are but I really wish they would sleep IN their coop!! That's why we built it for them. I'm hoping that once it get cold out they'll realize it's warmer inside and they'll go in.

Laurie

6. chickenbuddy

chickenbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    It doesn't get too cold, so I am not worried about that, and they're still penned up from predators. I guess I just want them to be "normal" if you get what I mean. Thanks for the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by