My chickens had just started laying then a groundhog killed one of them

koi polloi

Hatching
Sep 2, 2016
My chickens had just started laying then a groundhog killed one of them, obviously scaring the rest, and over a month later they are still not laying. will they ever again?

They should have resumed unless they are still frightened. I would check for hidden nests, they can be good about hiding them.

Thank you, I will do another search but three of us have walked yard numerous times without finding even a bit of egg shell.

How are they acting? More relaxed or are they constantly looking afraid? Most stressful situations will cause about a 1-3 week pause in laying. They should resume soon. How old, and what breeds?

I don't think a ground hog will kill a chicken.....they are herbivores.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days (or longer) can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

They are herbivores but this one went after the chicken and then the chicken was dead. And it kept coming back to yard until I shot it.

They are herbivores but this one went after the chicken and then the chicken was dead. And it kept coming back to yard until I shot it.
Odd...but recently read about a ground hog that had some kind of distemper...got aggressive towards some humans.
Might want to report to local DNR.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom