My chickens had just started laying then a groundhog killed one of them

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by koi polloi, Sep 2, 2016.

1. koi polloi

koi polloi New Egg

Sep 2, 2016
    My chickens had just started laying then a groundhog killed one of them, obviously scaring the rest, and over a month later they are still not laying. will they ever again?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs I Wanna Be A Cowboy Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They should have resumed unless they are still frightened. I would check for hidden nests, they can be good about hiding them.

3. koi polloi

koi polloi New Egg

Sep 2, 2016
    Thank you, I will do another search but three of us have walked yard numerous times without finding even a bit of egg shell.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs I Wanna Be A Cowboy Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    How are they acting? More relaxed or are they constantly looking afraid? Most stressful situations will cause about a 1-3 week pause in laying. They should resume soon. How old, and what breeds?

5. koi polloi

koi polloi New Egg

Sep 2, 2016
    Thank you. Makes me feel better.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I don't think a ground hog will kill a chicken.....they are herbivores.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days (or longer) can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

7. koi polloi

koi polloi New Egg

Sep 2, 2016
    thank you. I will try that.

8. koi polloi

koi polloi New Egg

Sep 2, 2016
    wyandot, orpington, and red sexlink. they are 5-6 months old.

9. koi polloi

koi polloi New Egg

Sep 2, 2016
    They are herbivores but this one went after the chicken and then the chicken was dead. And it kept coming back to yard until I shot it.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Odd...but recently read about a ground hog that had some kind of distemper...got aggressive towards some humans.
    Might want to report to local DNR.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by