My Chickens have to be close to laying!

Queenofchicks

Chirping
Mar 23, 2021
Antelope California
So on Tuesday I went out to do my morning care for my chickens and low and behold I found two green eggs from what I believe is my first Americauna. (I have two I got another one about two weeks later). So now of course I’m obsessed with my chickens! This is my first flock, I have two americaunas, one barred rocks, one Orpington, and one Cuckcoo Maran. What I’m wondering is a lot actually so bare with me. One… when I cleaned the coop out the Americauna was very interested in everything I was doing. Should I stay away from the coop and the nesting boxes for a while since she just started laying? My Orpington and Barred Rocks combs are VERY vibrant red. They seriously are beautiful birds, and the Orpington is showing the squatting thing I’ve heard that chickens do… do you think they are close to laying as well? Besides my last Americuana, my other four chickens are 19 weeks and will be 20 on Sunday. I’ve also switched the diet since I finally ran out of the start and grow I had them on and I got Purina Layena which I heard helps… again a total newbie!

I hope so! I mean if I had two eggs already wouldn’t I get more the next few days? Or still too soon to get them everyday?
Once they start laying, most chickens don’t lay every single day. So if you get 3-6/week from each, you’ll get eggs every day, but it won’t be the same hens laying them every day (unless they all skip the same day, which my friend with only 4 chickens tells me it happens about once a month to her). Hope that makes sense!

I've noticed laying hens are much more interested in what I do. I don't have a rooster and I'm always bringing food and treats, so I'm filling that role in one aspect. They squat for me and I pet them for a minute and then they go back to eating 😆
At first they don't seem to have a set laying schedule, it takes a few weeks to get up and running smoothly don't be surprised if you find some weird shape eggs at first.

Once they start laying, most chickens don’t lay every single day. So if you get 3-6/week from each, you’ll get eggs every day, but it won’t be the same hens laying them every day (unless they all skip the same day, which my friend with only 4 chickens tells me it happens about once a month to her). Hope that makes sense!
Okay and what about when they are in the coop and possibly laying?? Should I leave them alone?? Lol I’ve seen some people go in with their chickens on social media so I’m never sure!

I've noticed laying hens are much more interested in what I do. I don't have a rooster and I'm always bringing food and treats, so I'm filling that role in one aspect. They squat for me and I pet them for a minute and then they go back to eating 😆
At first they don't seem to have a set laying schedule, it takes a few weeks to get up and running smoothly don't be surprised if you find some weird shape eggs at first.
Perfect I’ve been checking on the morning and the afternoon since I found those two. But I don’t want to stress the chicken that’s laying out. Does it stress them out when you check?

Okay and what about when they are in the coop and possibly laying?? Should I leave them alone?? Lol I’ve seen some people go in with their chickens on social media so I’m never sure!
Depends on the personality of the chicken. 😂 Kind of like people. I was a ham & liked lots of attention as a kid, but my brother was very shy and would clam up with new people!

They'll be just fine with you in there😉 This is my OE laying her first egg and I'm all up in her business🤣

Attachments

• 20210622_165834.jpg
    20210622_165834.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 35

Back
Top Bottom