My chicken's home

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by glock3540, Jun 16, 2008.

1. glock3540

glock3540 New Egg

May 20, 2008
    SW PA
    I got 6 EE pullets back at the end of April and decided to turn an old dog kennel into their home. The run is concrete so I placed 4x4's around the bottom and filled it with 3.5 inches of dirt. On the inside of the kennel, I placed 3-4 inches of wood shavings. They seem happy with it and are growing fast. I placed 3 nesting boxes inside but haven't finished them yet. I still have to put the perch on the nest boxes, build a higher roost for them on the inside and paint the door. Here's some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally, here's the girls

[​IMG]

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Very Nice!!!!!

3. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    lloks great! they will be so happy...Enjoy..Dixie

4. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    That's cute [​IMG] Good job!

5. paul65

paul65 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    SW Pennsylvania
    Very nice, I need to build some nest boxes hope i can do as good a job as you.

6. johnmayersquare

johnmayersquare Let's Talk About Chicks, Man!

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    LOVE IT! [​IMG]

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    That is really great! I would love to have that! It looks very functional in design, as well as looking good. I bet your chickens love it.

You might want to think about upgrading your wire to something a little sturdier, though, especially since it looks like you don't lock the chickens into the coop portion at night. I would worry about a dog or raccoon ripping through the chicken wire. Hardware cloth would be sturdier or some people layer a woven wire fencing over the top of chicken wire. Either of those are made with a thicker, sturdier gauge of wire.

Some people have perimeter fencing and guard dogs. We all have a lot of variables in where we live. I don't know what your situation is. I just wanted to mention it, in case it might end up being a problem for you.

8. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    I like it! [​IMG]

9. talkin turkey

talkin turkey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2008
    Sweet coop. The will love it.

10. glock3540

glock3540 New Egg

May 20, 2008
    SW PA
    The chickens get locked in at night. If you look in the picture with the nesting boxes, you can see the track I made with the 3/4" plywood in it. At night, I slide the plywood over the opening and "lock" it in place by setting a piece of wood in the track, preventing anything from sliding the door open. I do plan on replacing the chicken wire with hardware cloth in the future though, I just have too many projects going on and already had the chickenwire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by