My chicken's home

glock3540

Hatching
11 Years
May 20, 2008
SW PA
I got 6 EE pullets back at the end of April and decided to turn an old dog kennel into their home. The run is concrete so I placed 4x4's around the bottom and filled it with 3.5 inches of dirt. On the inside of the kennel, I placed 3-4 inches of wood shavings. They seem happy with it and are growing fast. I placed 3 nesting boxes inside but haven't finished them yet. I still have to put the perch on the nest boxes, build a higher roost for them on the inside and paint the door. Here's some pictures:

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

And finally, here's the girls

IMG_0128.jpg

That is really great! I would love to have that! It looks very functional in design, as well as looking good. I bet your chickens love it.

You might want to think about upgrading your wire to something a little sturdier, though, especially since it looks like you don't lock the chickens into the coop portion at night. I would worry about a dog or raccoon ripping through the chicken wire. Hardware cloth would be sturdier or some people layer a woven wire fencing over the top of chicken wire. Either of those are made with a thicker, sturdier gauge of wire.

Some people have perimeter fencing and guard dogs. We all have a lot of variables in where we live. I don't know what your situation is. I just wanted to mention it, in case it might end up being a problem for you.

The chickens get locked in at night. If you look in the picture with the nesting boxes, you can see the track I made with the 3/4" plywood in it. At night, I slide the plywood over the opening and "lock" it in place by setting a piece of wood in the track, preventing anything from sliding the door open. I do plan on replacing the chicken wire with hardware cloth in the future though, I just have too many projects going on and already had the chickenwire.

Back
Top Bottom