My chickens just dropped dead

mcassidy

Hatching
Sep 24, 2019
Hello everyone,

This morning was an unfortunate one. I went out to my coop to let out my chickens. Two were dead on the floor of the coop, but the rest were ok. I’m confident it wasn’t a predator attack, there were no physical wounds on either chicken and no signs of entry in the coop. They just dropped dead. They seemed fine the day before, their coop and run is clean and they are well taken care of. Does anyone have any insight as to what may have happened? And why two chickens would drop dead the same night and not any others?

Hello everyone,

This morning was an unfortunate one. I went out to my coop to let out my chickens. Two were dead on the floor of the coop, but the rest were ok. I’m confident it wasn’t a predator attack, there were no physical wounds on either chicken and no signs of entry in the coop. They just dropped dead. They seemed fine the day before, their coop and run is clean and they are well taken care of. Does anyone have any insight as to what may have happened? And why two chickens would drop dead the same night and not any others?
Sorry for your loss. That must have been a very unpleasant surprise.
Did you keep the bodies? It would be best to refrigerate one or both and send them off for necropsy at your state lab. That's the only way to really know what went wrong and if it is something that could affect the remainder of your flock.

So sorry for your losses.
A necropsy would be best , you double bag the body, keep it cool but not frozen, and send it off to the state vet, I do believe if not @Texas Kiki will correct me then you will know exactly what it was.

Would help to know at least what state your in.

Sudden death causes that come to mind could be:
heart attack
something toxic they got into
Egg bound
internal laying
parasite overload

Sorry for your loss. I would examine the bodies closely, especially looking at their necks in case of a weasel. Look for any droppings that were loose or bloody. Were they eating and drinking normally? How hot was it in their coop? Look for any mold in their feed, or for any poisonous plants. I agree with sending 1 or 2 off for a necropsy. Their ages would be good to know. Here is a list of state vets who can do necropsies:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Back
Top Bottom