my chickens love to eat the cats food!!!

johnson215

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 7, 2011
bunnlevel, nc
droolin.gif
: looking for the food!!!
113389_111212_0012.jpg

Mine will escape their run just to sit on my deck (and poop everywhere) while gorging themselves on dry cat food. All our cats are outdoors, so we have a gigantic cat feeder always full.

Quote:
Welcome to BYC
wink.png

Lots of people feed cat food to chickens during molts. The extra protien helps with growing their new feathers. It's
also often fed during winter months. It's ok to feed, just don't over due it. Everybody but my cat likes cat food..
roll.png

This (mom at bottom left) is a habitual cat food moocher who turned her protein-power into an interesting December project! I can't tell you how many times I've shooed this hen away from the cat food bowl at the back door.....
lol.png

101609_december_2011_200.jpg

Mine love cat food too...the poor cats will completely abandon the bowl too when they see the chickens coming.
roll.png

Haha!! I have the same thing... only ours gets a little more complicated... the chickens are eating the cat food, the cats are eating the dog food, the rabbits are eating the chicken food and the dog is left to beg for a handout!!

We had a duck that ate our cats food from the time we got her as a little duckling. We did give her regular duck food but she wouldn't eat it. Thing was, she was getting too much protein from the cat food and ended up with deformed wings and couldn't fly. She ate other things like all my flowers and water lilies. We finally gave her away to someone who had other ducks and outdoor animals and a big nursery so she could eat all the flowers she wanted. I was told later that she continued to eat their cats food. Must be the fish in it they like so much!!

Back
Top Bottom