My chickens seem cold- heater?

JoeInPA

Songster
Aug 25, 2019
Western Pennsylvania
Hi everyone, we are finally getting into winter and it's getting pretty cold out there. My chickens seem to be spending more time in the coop than out. I leave the pop door open during the day so they are free to come and go as they please, and they do come outside a few times a day and peck around, but they are mostly staying inside.

This is my first year with chickens and I know everyone has said they should be fine without heat, but I can't help but get worried about them being cold.

I have to run into town today and buy a heater for their water so it doesn't freeze, but I'm wondering if I should grab anything else that may help them stay warm or entice them to come outside. I was going to buy some scratch since they've never had it.

I don't have power in my coop setup, but it's only 10 yards or so from my back porch. I can easily run an outdoor extension cord for any power. I have an GFCI outlet on the back porch to plug into.

Has anyone used one of these before?

Cozy Products CL Safe Chicken Coop Heater 200 Watts Safer Than Brooder Lamps, One Size, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LX9K1JI/?tag=backy-20

Here is my coop setup, this picture is from a week or so ago.

IMG_20191024_162439473.jpg

Mine have been fine without heat when it was -45. They huddle together & don't really move around much, but they do fine. Even my bantams (including a silkie) did fine. A couple of my boys lost the tips of their toes to frostbite, but they seem unfazed.

Covering their run will help. I use vapour barrier or a tarp. I don't recommend using clear as it can make things way too hot for them.

I wrap my run with clear plastic shower curtains. This blocks the wind and provides extra warmth. It got really cold last night and is windy today. When I cleaned their coop I let them out of their run, but they came back in to get out of the wind. Last Winter was really cold and mine did fine without added heat.

Mine have been fine without heat when it was -45. They huddle together & don't really move around much, but they do fine. Even my bantams (including a silkie) did fine. A couple of my boys lost the tips of their toes to frostbite, but they seem unfazed.

Covering their run will help. I use vapour barrier or a tarp. I don't recommend using clear as it can make things way too hot for them.

I use clear and they are fine. You just need to leave enough room at the top of the plastic to allow for ventilation. My chickens like to be able to see outside of their run.

Hi everyone, we are finally getting into winter and it's getting pretty cold out there. My chickens seem to be spending more time in the coop than out. I leave the pop door open during the day so they are free to come and go as they please, and they do come outside a few times a day and peck around, but they are mostly staying inside.

This is my first year with chickens and I know everyone has said they should be fine without heat, but I can't help but get worried about them being cold.

I have to run into town today and buy a heater for their water so it doesn't freeze, but I'm wondering if I should grab anything else that may help them stay warm or entice them to come outside. I was going to buy some scratch since they've never had it.

I don't have power in my coop setup, but it's only 10 yards or so from my back porch. I can easily run an outdoor extension cord for any power. I have an GFCI outlet on the back porch to plug into.

Has anyone used one of these before?

Cozy Products CL Safe Chicken Coop Heater 200 Watts Safer Than Brooder Lamps, One Size, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LX9K1JI/?tag=backy-20

Here is my coop setup, this picture is from a week or so ago.

View attachment 1954458
I Recommend not putting a heat lamp in your coop. It is a big fire hazard for your birds. I know someone who's coop burned down, along with every one of her birds. She said her yard smelled like cooked chicken. Please, whatever you do, do not put a heat lamp in your coop. Chickens are very good at regulating body temperature. They can survive into negative numbers. Also, If you put in a heat lamp, your birds will become dependent on it, so once it is removed, they will have a very hard time adjusting and not be able to regulate body temperature as well.

But, if you believe it is worth the risk, go ahead.

Last edited:
Yes, it’s getting cold out there. Adding heat isn’t advised though. If you lose power, the flock won’t be able to deal. The birds are going to acclimate to the current temperatures, and will be fine. A draft free coop, and liquid water (snow doesn’t count) is all they need. You have that covered.
An evening snack of cracked corn does help. It takes energy to stay warm, and corn takes a while to burn off.

Back
Top Bottom