My chickens seem cramped?

I would run out the lease, let the rental company pick up the "coop" and hens in the fall. Meanwhile start your own build, go big! Make it a walk in, or buy a shed you can modify then get a proper flock of 6ish chicks in the spring, get the chickens you want....
Or start on the coop and get chicks now since they will be in the brooder for several weeks. When the new coop is done, the chicks can go in there, and at the end of the summer, the rented chickens and their coop go back. That will right around the time the new ones start laying.

Or start on the coop and get chicks now since they will be in the brooder for several weeks.
Terrible idea imo, build first then brood them in the coop. My chicks are fully feathered and off heat usually in 3.5 to 4 weeks brooding in coop with overnight temps in the mid 30's

People should not put the chick before the coop

Terrible idea imo, build first then brood them in the coop. My chicks are fully feathered and off heat usually in 3.5 to 4 weeks brooding in coop with overnight temps in the mid 30's

I brood in the barn where I have power without running a heat lamp off an extension cord. 3-4 weeks is plenty of time to build a coop. By the time the chicks are ready, the coop will be too, unless someone is the world's slowest builder.

I brood in the barn where I have power without running a heat lamp off an extension cord. 3-4 weeks is plenty of time to build a coop. By the time the chicks are ready, the coop will be too, unless someone is the world's slowest builder.

Depends on the coop plans in terms of size and complexity, the weather, the amount of time a person has off, the availability of supplies, and many other factors.

My Little Monitor Coop with it's original run was built in 3 weekends by my husband, an experienced handyman, and his best friend, who worked in the building trades.

The new Open Air Chicken Palace is not yet complete. My husband and youngest son dug the first postholes on February 23. We've run into every possible delay -- including DH suffering an injury at work, DS#3 having to go back to school full-time for the last 6-week term of the years so he wasn't able to help, and Lowes running out of the lumber we needed.

x2!

I think many of us have made the mistake of getting chicks before finishing the coop. We had to build ours in the rain because the chicks HAD to get moved out due to emergency repairs needed in the bathroom (they were living in what would be the only working shower in the house). If we'd only done it ahead of time...

Thanks, great advice! Since we have a 3 year old, I think we would probably opt for hens with a longer lifespan.
Alfia ... how is the rental coming along? Did you figure out some more space for the girls? I'm not allowed roosters by township ordinance and Saturday morning my 14-week silkie decided to crow at 5:40.

That got me to thinking about your rental arrangement and thought I'd share some thoughts.

The kids really liked the chick-raising experience. (we bought from TSC) We had picked out 2 golden comets (virtually guaranteed hens, like what you have), and a straight run of easter egger and silkie. If you are in a situation where you cannot keep a rooster and get straight runs ... it adds a good deal of stress, particularly when young kids are involved. We were fortunate to be able to find a home for our rooster, but it's not always so easy and still many tears were shed.

Now were faced with deciding if we want to replace #4 now or later. After watching craigstlist, I see that it won't be too hard to get a 10-14 week old pullet ... which is the path I think we'll take in a couple years to stretch out the egg production.

Bottom line, if yo go with chicks next year and want to be sure you have girls, I'd strongly recommend something with a high probability of being a pullet.

Back
Top Bottom