My chickens seem to prefer their coop

missnu01

Songster
7 Years
Nov 16, 2012
Are they just not used to the area, or do I have indoor chickens? Lol. They just don't seem to want to go outside. I can herd them out the coop and they will pick around for just a little bit, and then back in they go.

When I brought my new hens home they did that. They seem to feel safer indoors for the first few days, but after that they were out from early 'till late.
Maybe you made your coop too nice?
smile.png

Well they have a lot of space in the coop, and probably a few pounds of scratch hidden under the straw, but I would like to see them outside more. I will herd them outside, and they seem to enjoy it, but the rooster will come back in after just a few minutes, so of course the hens stop their foraging and follow him.

I feel bad chasing them outside all the time through the day, so I have just been leaving the coop open and letting them do whatever they want to do...
I guess that is alright. Surely if they need some outside time they will take it right?

They stayed outside longer the very first day we let them out than they have any day since...no I take that back..the second day they wandered the whole yard, but on the third day they stayed out for just a few minutes on and off...

The mama bird and her chicks seem to like the outside if I chase them out...but I also have to chase them back in...

Is it cold where you are? My chickens stay in their coop a lot more now that is has gotten cold here. (Below freezing.)

I wish my girls would go in the coop.

They will stand out in the rain or go under a bush or tree in their yard but will not go in coop to get out of the rain. I have to round them up to get them inside then I have to close the door to the coop so they will stay in. I am concerned about them getting soaked then I see other chickens in the area that are out in the rain and seem to be fine. I have taken mine in and used the blow dryer on them for fear that they would freeze at night. Are they as dumb as they are smart? I have been told that they will hold their heads up to drink the rain till they drown themselves, true? heard this of turkeys as well.

Is it cold where you are? My chickens stay in their coop a lot more now that is has gotten cold here. (Below freezing.)
It is cold, but not below freezing. At least not when I go and let them out...I mean the water is frozen in the early mornings, but it thaws before I let them out. They just aren't interested...they go out, scratch around and then right back in they come. I think the hens would stay longer, but the rooster just comes on back in as soon as he gets all the scratch feed off the ground.

I wish my girls would go in the coop.

They will stand out in the rain or go under a bush or tree in their yard but will not go in coop to get out of the rain. I have to round them up to get them inside then I have to close the door to the coop so they will stay in. I am concerned about them getting soaked then I see other chickens in the area that are out in the rain and seem to be fine. I have taken mine in and used the blow dryer on them for fear that they would freeze at night. Are they as dumb as they are smart? I have been told that they will hold their heads up to drink the rain till they drown themselves, true? heard this of turkeys as well.
I don't know if that is true or not...My chickens are coop birds...lol. I am wondering if perhaps chickens just innately don't like our yard at this point. They go out they scratch, they come back in...Perhaps they will start to like the outside more if I just keep herding them out, and out, and out...

If you really want them to spent more time outside you should feed them treats out there. Hang a cabbage in the run for them or put something tempting out there like a pile of straw or leaves. My chickens couldn't not leave a pile of any kind alone! Even better if you put some of their favourite treats in the pile. Make it nice for them out there.

Well there is no run...they are in the coop or just free to roam the yard...I will toss them scratch and what not out onto the ground and the hens go to town out there, but the Roo just doesn't seem to trust it. So he heads back in and of course the hens follow him.

Back
Top Bottom