1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Chickens Sniff. Normal?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Theolyn, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Theolyn

Theolyn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2009
    Alameda, CA
    Hello fellow chickenphiles. I've been lurking for many months, but this is my first post.

I'm a newbie. My flock is beautiful: 1 silkie, one polish, two EE, one black star, one Millie, all 4 weeks old. I'm utterly in love.

Everyone is still in the brooder. All eating, pooping, drinking, growing. However, for a couple of weeks now I've noticed that several of the chickens have started sniff-ing. It's not a sneeze per se, but an expulsion of air through the nostrils. It reminds me of when I had an iguana who used to expel salt from his nostrils that way.

There is no visible discharge, or any other signs of illness.

Is this normal chicken behavior? Or an infection of some type? If the latter, what do I do?

Fretting!
    Libby

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  2. Theolyn

Sep 4, 2009
    Alameda, CA
    Bump. Anyone? Anyone?
    [​IMG]

3. Theolyn

Sep 4, 2009
    Alameda, CA
    I'm bumping, hoping for feedback. [​IMG]

4. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    When they peck on the ground they will "sneeze" out the sand and dirt from thier nostrils. Mine do it too.

5. Theolyn

Sep 4, 2009
    Alameda, CA
    Thanks, Nosey! I was hoping for something like that! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by