My chickens still are not laying.

guineafowlguy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 9, 2013
My chickens (Production Red, Buff Orpington, Bard Rock, and various sex links) have not been laying well all year and it is getting annoying. When the year first started off we had so many eggs we didn't know what to do with them all. I have 70 hens and they would easily give me 3-4 dozen a day. So i was a little aggravated that about 20 of my hens were not laying but wasn't that concerned. They layed like that for about 2-3 months than they started dropping progressively until today were I only get 3 eggs a day. (Out of 70 hens) This has been going on for about 2 months. I have tried every food under the sun including layer pellet, cat food (high protein), and have been giving them a lot. Frankly I'm tired of going to the feed store. Also they are free range and they free range all over my farm. They are fat chickens. My chickens are 1-2 maybee 3 years old. Any suggestions?

Since you allow them to free-range, is it possible they are laying in secret nesting areas that you haven't located? Other than that there is always the possibility that they might need to be looked at closely to see if there is anything medically happening. I do know that switching their feed around a lot can cause their systems to put the brakes on.

I have looked for alternative laying areas and I don't see any. I am pretty sure they are not laying at all as I have tested the hens. On cackle hatchery they say the way to know if they are laying is to feel around and there should be a bone that the egg must pass through. If they are laying there will be an egg sized gap. About 2 fingers (depending on finger size) if not the bone will be closed. I have learned how to check and I have checked the 3 hens that lay and they are open. Everyone else is closed. Also I have checked for parasites (Red Mites) and have found none. I am thinking it MUST be nutrition.

What does a chicken need to lay an egg? What % protein, calcium, vitamins minerals, green matter from free range do they need. I'm thinking they are deficient in something.

Production/Sexlinks do not keep up that high production for more than 2-3 years....it could be that some of your girls are aging out.

Also agrees that molting might be the culprit...the days are shortening.

I am having the same problem I have 9 hens that's are 2 1/2 that I will be culling this fall to make room for new layers. Currently getting 12/15 eggs a day out of 30 hens.

I have a small flock of 7 who are 2 1/2. In anticipation of this problem, I got 7 more this spring, 3 of which are now laying. I'll be culling the older flock this fall ... out of 7, only 2 are currently laying, and it's sporadic. It looks like I've got the timing just about right.

Could something be stressing them? Predator, mice, rats, etc. in and around the coop stress can cause disruptions.

Back
Top Bottom