My chickens toe is falling off....

Aw man, I'm sorry :( No, it wouldn't have been anything you were doing. Vaseline is not toxic to chickens, so that wouldn't have been it. And if you used neosporin, as long as you used the kind without pain relief, it wouldn't have been that either.

Worming them should help them too. If they have the leg mites they may also have internal parasites that you're not seeing and the eprinex will take care of that.

Thank you. I should be getting the Eprinex in a few days and will apply it the way you've recommended. I'm getting more chickens within the next week or two. They're young and are about to lay. I appreciate all of your good advice.

No problem :) Just make sure you quarantine the new guys, you don't want to accidentally introduce a nasty illness.

Yeah. I will wait to get them until I give my chickens their 2 treatments.
1f60a.png

Hi, I had 2 little banty hens show up on my farm, one died after 4 days of treatment( WEEZING) THE OTHER ONE i THOUGH HAD LEG MITES SO I STARTED HER ONE VASELINE, HER TOES STARTED FALLING OFF!, oops sorry just looked u to see me "yelling" sorry!~~!
D.gif
~~Anyhow I took her to the vet they put her on amoxicillin! But they thought it was bamblefoot then had 2nd thoughts but really they have no clue! maybe some kind of virus! told me she would probably lose the rest of her toes! I fell so sorry for her!!

Hi,

I gave the chickens their 1st dosage of Eprinex. I will do it again in 10 days as you've said.

Thanks, again, for your help.

Carol

Eprinex (topical ivermectin) does absolutely nothing for intestinal worms in chickens, and very little for mites, and nothing for lice. It won't destroy mite or lice eggs and only kills those ingesting blood from the bird. No known withdrawal period exists for ivermectin in birds either. Got leg mites? Use Sulfur Salve or Nu-Stock. Got worms? use Albendazole (Valbazen).

Last edited:
Eprinex (topical ivermectin) does absolutely nothing for intestinal worms in chickens, and very little for mites, and nothing for lice. It won't destroy mite or lice eggs and only kills those ingesting blood from the bird. No known withdrawal period exists for ivermectin in birds either. Got leg mites? Use Sulfur Salve or Nu-Stock. Got worms? use Albendazole (Valbazen).

Interesting about the Valbazen. What would the dosage be? Also, I've used Eprinex on my own birds before and it has successfully killed mites and worms in them. A lot of people use it up here, and it seems to work well, at least in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom