My chickens toes fell off

I am so sorry, sounds like bad frost bite. :hugs This is common when using thin roost bars. Make sure your roost bars are wide enough so the birds can cover their feet with their breast feathers. Use a 2x4 with the 4 side up.

Here is an article about frostbite and how someone else dealt with the loss of toes....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...to-know-about-injury-care-and-recovery.78168/

Good luck, I hope your bird will be ok!

I got a picture it looks like it’s scabing some so I put Neosporin and wrapped it do you think this will help?

Attachments

• 4E92E158-DC78-4CE9-8450-37E1147729E0.jpeg
    4E92E158-DC78-4CE9-8450-37E1147729E0.jpeg
    578.9 KB · Views: 11
  • F9E1E422-752B-47F8-8A89-190F9C4AFC0D.jpeg
    F9E1E422-752B-47F8-8A89-190F9C4AFC0D.jpeg
    475.8 KB · Views: 11
Immediately after her toes came off and left a bloody stump behind was when your hen was most exposed to infection, so you were on the right track to clean, medicate and wrap the stump. Now that the remaining viable tissue has scabbed over, there is much less risk of infection. For the first few days after autoamputation, it is recommended to soak remaining viable tissue in Epsom Salts, Hibicens, etc. This is soothing and will help deter any chance of infection. After the stump has fully dried, medicate topically with triple antibiotic ointment, Vetericin spray, etc. There was much discussion on my hen's thread as whether to wrap her stumps after her feet came off, or leave the stumps uncovered while they healed. I chose to wrap them for the first few days, then leave them uncovered for the remainder of her healing. I kept both stumps clean and dry. If your hen's stumps are exposed to soil and poop, may be best to keep them wrapped.

If the toes auto amputated, they should be okay. I run into trouble when they don't, which results in the foot and later the leg dying off
By chance is the frosbite-injured toe/foot re-exposed to freezing temps before it has a chance to complete the autoputation process? I know your Montana winters are extreme, but I don't know of any reason why necrotic tissue would fail to autoamputate, unless it refroze before detaching, which makes the injury worse. Sincerely curious.

I have been dealing with frostbite damage to a hen's feet since Christmas.

My incredible avian vet -- who later told me Eleanor was "nearly dead," gave my girl an IV for dehydration and sent me home with an antibiotic ((WS sulfa/tribrissan), pain/inflammation medication (Loxicom) and instruction to soak her feet in warm Epsom salt baths twice a day, apply a burn ointment (silver sulfadizine cream)and wrap the feet with gauze and Vet Wrap. Much off the dead tissue sloughed off, but Eleanor was still left with entire stiff, black toes on both feet.

At the last vet visit, Dr. Meyer cut off Eleanor's dead toes, leaving two healthy pink-skinned toes on each foot. I have had my girl indoors during her recovery and I won't put her back outside until winter weather recedes (we are looking at sub-zero temps tomorrow).

Recovery is taking much longer than I anticipated, but I am thankful that she is alive and able to walk fairly well. Best wishes for taking care of your girl!

Back
Top Bottom