My chickens went missing

howdyitsmia

Songster
May 23, 2020
Utah, United States
About an hour ago I went out and did a head count and two of my lavender orpingtons are gone. I searched all around the yard and out front because the gate might’ve been open, but they’ve disappeared without a trace. My dad just recently expanded our run with a 4 foot fence and I think they may have jumped it and ran off. I’m devastated. They had just barely started to lay. I guess I’ll keep looking again in the morning. Hopefully nothing killed them and they remember where their food and water is.

Found them!!!! They were on top of the fence🤦‍♀️ I have no idea how they got up there. They definitely like to roost up high.
Here’s a butt shot
D9BC3FA5-9CA6-4B4F-8B0A-E1CF6338041C.jpeg

Found them!!!! They were on top of the fence🤦‍♀️ I have no idea how they got up there. They definitely like to roost up high.
Here’s a butt shot
View attachment 2415304
I’m glad you found them! It’s rather silly to find them in such places. My neighbors chickens never liked sleeping in their chicken coop and would climb on top of their shed and make their way into our tree to sleep. I was shocked to see them so high up, but they love to be on top of the world! I would look into clipping their wings to prevent them from getting up there again. (Though this is completely up to you)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ings-of-your-chicken-to-prevent-flight.47727/

Clip their wings so they can't get into the tree... Then they can't get away from predators.... Little brownie said My neighbors chickens never liked sleeping in their chicken coop and would climb on top of their shed and make their way into our tree to sleep. Yes..... I say they like high up places. To escape predators. And get a birds eye view of what's coming. They want higher roosts in their coop.

If you can, break this habit as soon as you possibly can because this will become a habit. If it takes a few days of having an extra yummy treat to get them into the coop before dark (scrambled eggs, scratch, whatever they love)--- because raccoons, owls, cats and who knows what else will eventually find them, and they are sitting ducks in the dark. I'm really happy you found them and they are very cute!

Back
Top Bottom