My chickens were born in May they are now 17 weeks old, Will they be able to lay in October or Late

MonicaAndHer6

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 3, 2013
I looked online the 14 hours of sunlight required will not happen in my location of the world, however I am located in California so it will NOT snow where we live.

Should I be expecting eggs/
The "girls are" 2 delware, 1 Easter egg, 2 Rhode Island Reds and 1 Barred Rock

Last edited:
Your birds should start laying in September or October.

However, if you do not choose to supplement light, it is entirely possible that one or more may not lay until next spring. Snow has nothing to do with it--it's all based on hours of sunlight. Hens are very photosensitive.

As long as you are not opposed to it, you could add a standard 60 watt lightbulb on a timer and make sure they're getting 14-16 hours of light a day.

Add the light to the morning, not the evening. We've had our lights on for a month, now. The lights come on at 5:30am and go off at 7:30am. In the dark of winter, the lights will come on at 4am and go off around 8am.

edited to add:
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
I'm in texas, near Galveston. My peeps are under shade trees. They are 17 weeks. Will I be needing artificial light?

I'm in texas, near Galveston. My peeps are under shade trees. They are 17 weeks. Will I be needing artificial light?
idunno.gif
Look up sunrise and sunset times for your zip code. See how much light you're getting. If it's less than 14 hours, you may want to add some. I would. Also remember to keep an eye on the number of daylight hours through the winter, and keep changing your timer until it's between 14 and 16 hours. You DO NOT want more than 18 hours of light, as that will keep them from sleeping well and impact laying.

You can also just let your hens take a break in the winter. Many people do. I do not, as my birds are farm animals and must produce eggs to buy their feed.

I'm only getting 12.37 hours of light. I don't have electricity in the coop. Guess I need to do a search. There's street lights and city hall right across from us usually keeps their outdoor lights on but it's darks in their nest house. My peeps are pets, a hobby. I want the eggs but they're just for our consumption. Hubby says they're on the credit plan right now because they aren't providing eggs. Is it harmful to the hens if I don't stimulate their laying?

My young ones were all born in April. My Gold Star laid her first egg yesterday. I have 5 more young ones. 2 Black Australorps, 1 RIR, 1 Buff Orphington, 1 Barred Rock. I am pretty sure they arent too far behind my Gold Star.

Goldy

Goldy's first dark Brown egg.

I'm only getting 12.37 hours of light. I don't have electricity in the coop. Guess I need to do a search. There's street lights and city hall right across from us usually keeps their outdoor lights on but it's darks in their nest house. My peeps are pets, a hobby. I want the eggs but they're just for our consumption. Hubby says they're on the credit plan right now because they aren't providing eggs. Is it harmful to the hens if I don't stimulate their laying?
No, it's not harmful at all to not stimulate laying. There is debate as to whether or not it is harmful TO supplement light.

Your birds should lay right through the winter the first year, then take a bit of a break or slow down in spring with their first moult. Without supplemental light, they may not lay next winter.

Thank you for your reply. I'm excited about getting eggs but its ok if it happens on their time table. I'm glad to know if they don't lay soon they aren't sick.

Back
Top Bottom