My chickens will NOT nipple drink!!!

Jazzy_girl

Chirping
Mar 21, 2020
No matter what I've tried and maybe I need new ideas. They will not nipple drink. I really need them to because I'm winter that's all I have rn is a heated nipple water drinker. Help!!!

I’m wanting to switch all my birds… Guinea included to nipples for water…. And idk how to teach them either…. I recently changed from cups on the bucket the smaller cup with the yellow prong that releases fresh water and I don’t think my hens have done a great job adjusting to this….. when I let them out they all run to the traditional feeder option telling me they haven’t drank anything for hours…. Idk what to do…. So I’m curious to see what people suggest for you. I have a situation where I may be gone for a month…. I live with my Mother, and i know she not be okay thinking she is tied down and unable to leave for even a few days….. the last time I left I hired a chicken sitter LOL…. But know there are ways to make this more doable.

No matter what I've tried and maybe I need new ideas. They will not nipple drink. I really need them to because I'm winter that's all I have rn is a heated nipple water drinker. Help!!!
Any luck? I was just reading (inhere somewhere) that the person took away all other water sources, chose a moderate temp day and watched their chickens take to the nipples after about an hour... We're a bit hesitant and looking ahead for winter ideas too

When I switch my meat birds from baby waterers to nipples in the bottom of 5 gallon buckets, it usually takes them 3-5 hours to figure it out.

I try to show them by bumping the nipple with my finger, then wiping the water on their beaks. Then I leave them to it for a while. When I come back to check at least a handful have the idea. The others figure it out from them.

As far as Michigan winters go, I use a double wall vacuum metal waterer with a thermostatically controlled metal base.

When I switch my meat birds from baby waterers to nipples in the bottom of 5 gallon buckets, it usually takes them 3-5 hours to figure it out.

I try to show them by bumping the nipple with my finger, then wiping the water on their beaks. Then I leave them to it for a while. When I come back to check at least a handful have the idea. The others figure it out from them.

As far as Michigan winters go, I use a double wall vacuum metal waterer with a thermostatically controlled metal base.
This was the route we took also. I caught our 'alpha hen' and put her beak into the nipple. It took about a day for her to catch on but the other girls quickly followed.

Oh, the other thing I forgot to mention, you need to get the height right. Depending on the size of the bird a couple inches over their head. They need to be able to tilt their heads back to hit the nipple. Too high and they can’t reach it. Too low and they can’t walk under/activate it.

Oh, the other thing I forgot to mention, you need to get the height right. Depending on the size of the bird a couple inches over their head. They need to be able to tilt their heads back to hit the nipple. Too high and they can’t reach it. Too low and they can’t walk under/activate it.
Well, this would depends on which kind of nipples, vertical or horizontal.

Well, this would depends on which kind of nipples, vertical or horizontal.
Yeah, mine are in the bottom of a 5 gal bucket.

I mention because the first year it took me a few tries to get the height right.

I tried to have the nipples at eye level, thinking if they saw the red plastic it would give them the idea, since the chick waterer was red. This was too low. It went a lot better when I raised it maybe 3” (when they were young) above eye level. Then they could get their heads up.

Back
Top Bottom