My Chickens

Chooky1

In the Brooder
Dec 4, 2022
I have now got 11 chickens for the first time, I would like to let them out of their coop. So I can let them out onto the grass area but I am to scared thinking that they might fly or run off. What should I do?

My chickens are 1 and 2 years old the garden area is fenced off but not the grass area. The coop is inside the garden area.

Whether they fly off could depend on the breed. I have mostly heavier breeds -- including a Buff Orpington, for example -- who are not good at flying. It's one of the things I consider when choosing breeds. They seem to only get airborne for a couple of seconds, at best.

However, I do have, for example, Easter Eggers who are quite good at flight and sail over the pasture fences into the goat and sheep areas. They have to be persuaded to come back.

As far as running off, many chickens will naturally return to the coop where they feel safe before it gets dark out.

Every night, a few of the girls seem reluctant to go in on their own, but when they hear me shaking a plastic bag of mealworms, they come running. I toss a handful into the coops, and they jump right in. The way to a chicken's heart is through its stomach!

Also, since chickens are social critters, if one or two of the girls hop into your coop, it's likely the others will want to follow -- but, especially if there are special treats inside.

Hope things work out for you!

Build a covered pen so they won't fly off. It will protect them from predators, too!

1670325693286.png

Back
Top Bottom