My Chicks all Died

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in New York now I moved from Scotland 4 months ago and I'm not sure whether you mean
there's no feed in Scotland or NYC!

how I need to change my food!!
ok so I dipped their beaks and they still would not touch it... I ground up the food does that work as well as grit or should I get grit and I make sure the water is warm everyday
Welcome to BYC, sorry for your losses.
You need to buy a proper feed for them. Ground up seeds and mealworms do not contain the correct amount of protein, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids that they need.
Read this:
https://www.nap.edu/read/2114/chapter/8#45

Last edited:
their water supply is always accessible though they don't seem to drink it, To solve this I drop fed them water every hour.

I do not know what kind of waterer you have, but there are special waterers sold for baby quail. Here is a link to a picture of one:
https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalo...roof-Chick-Waterer-Plastic-1-quart-p1842.aspx

If you put some marbles in it (little round glass balls), the chicks will often peck the shiny marbles, get a mouthful of water, and figure out how to drink for themselves.

Also when I feed them water they act like its the end of the world if they don't drink it but when given they chick waterer they refrain from getting 3cm from it

I would put probably have the chick waterer in the pen before ever putting the baby quail in, and then leave it there all the time. Of course take it out to rinse & refill, but put it right back afterward. Birds are often scared of new things, so you want it to be a "normal thing" for them, not a new scary thing.

Their food supplies are made up of A few live Crickets, Dried mealworms, and Wagner's wild bird feed (The mealworms and seed are ground together) they seemed to be happy until one by one they all died over a 2 week period.

You would probably have better results if you bought a food specifically designed for feeding quail (it might be labeled "gamebird starter.")

Quail are so small you would not need a large amount, so you could order it online if no local stores carry it.

I tried looking up Wagner's wild bird feed online, and I see that it's meant for some kinds of adult birds. It is not meant for tiny baby birds of any kind.

their water supplies had a few vitamins to keep them in shape and they never showed signs of being too cold or too hot I can't seem to find a reason for there death...

Any signs of them being sick? Did specific chicks seem extra-sleepy shortly before they died? Did any of them have blood in their poop?

Just to be sure about temperature, did you check it with a thermometer? What temperature was the warm part of the brooder? What temperature was the cool part? (Farenheit or Celsius works, just tell which one you're using.)

If the temperature was badly wrong, I would have expected them to die in just a day or two. With some surviving up to 2 weeks, I think the food was the problem. It was not completely wrong, because some of them did live for a while, but it was quite right either. I really think you would have better results if you just buy gamebird starter for your next batch, at least for while they are growing up.

NatJ I'm pretty sure they had good a good quail specific water feeder and there were marbles in it! they were very sleepy otherwise no signs of sickness and I think they were not overheated! an I'm staying with the original stuff yes! anyways I'm archiving this now I have got enough info and I will use this to my advantage on my next batch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom