My Chicks all Died

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hàlo a charaid. Tha mi duilich about your quail. Tha mi air bhioran that I can practice mo Gàidhlig! Tha mi a’ Aimearaga Tha mi a’ ionnsachadh Gàidhlig

Wild fowl chicks require a longer period of warmth in a confined space for 2 months as chicks. They also require a high protein chick feed for at least 4 months and can then be put on flock raiser. They are harder to raise than chicks. Added vitamin powder and probiotics are also a plus.

Hi. I have never raised quail, although have thought seriously about doing so. I found a site that seems to give a lot of good info. I don't know what research you have already done. This site says that baby quail are most "fragile" during their first two weeks. I'm not sure if you got yours to survive longer than that?
I hope that this might help: https://bestfarmanimals.com/the-complete-guide-to-raising-quail/

I have a very strange and interesting problem that may be hard for y'all country folk to understand. I live in Manhattan new york in a small apartment and I decided to raise quails as pets!?!? I have provided them with a reasonable 6ft by 2ft Brooder. their water supply is always accessible though they don't seem to drink it, To solve this I drop fed them water every hour. Their food supplies are made up of A few live Crickets, Dried mealworms, and Wagner's wild bird feed (The mealworms and seed are ground together) they seemed to be happy until one by one they all died over a 2 week period. their water supplies had a few vitamins to keep them in shape and they never showed signs of being too cold or too hot I can't seem to find a reason for there death...

(Forgive misspells and grammar issue I'm Scottish English is my second language)

(I will respond to as many responses as possible)
(I speak Scottish Gaelic and recently learned English I know English is spoken in Scotland)
I have button quail- similar, but smaller. Soooo, As babies, they require a warmth- I used a heat lamp. When they got older - about 6 weeks, I separated them out into teams of two or three. Males are very protective about females. After they no longer needed the brooder, I put them in their quail cage- custom built by a friend. I feed mine MannaPro Gamebird / Showbird feed which is crumbles. I also give them fresh greens to munch on and a small container of chick grit for digestion. Do not make that container too large or they will bathe in it. For a waterer, you should get a chick waterer. Sincd mine are so small, I use an empty soda bottle with a screw on trough for a lid. My button quail have lived for 2 and 1/2 yrs now, so I guess the regimen is ok. I do on occasion give them wild bird seed as a snack. I take it yours are inside, which is good since they are delicate. They also enjoy a dust bath- just a container with sand in it that they lay in and scatter everywhere. I usually put that in the day before I clean the cage. What kind of stuff do you put on the bottom of their habitat? I have pine chips in mine and since the ammonia smell is REAL bad, have to change it out every week. Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
I will not have another thread where some others are talking about how I need to change my food!! I also need to learn how to get them to drink out of the waterer thank you!
Why?? Wouldn't you rather have more educated folks suggest how you could do better, so that your birds don't die? That's what this whole website is for! If you didn't want advice, why are you here? To my knowledge, chicks of any kind are supposed to be on starter feed. That's probably why they died. Also your watering situation sounds questionable. Please take the advice of Kiki and get this figured out before even considering getting any more!! Poor birds is right. :(

I found it odd there was no specificity about what kind of quail were being raised.

Button quail and bobwhite might both be quail, and need generally the same thing, but... I'd say it makes a difference in diagnosis.

I think he forgot a period “I will not. I have another thread...”
He was responding to someone saying don’t get anymore until you figure it out...and that was his response.

Why?? Wouldn't you rather have more educated folks suggest how you could do better, so that your birds don't die? That's what this whole website is for! If you didn't want advice, why are you here? To my knowledge, chicks of any kind are supposed to be on starter feed. That's probably why they died. Also your watering situation sounds questionable. Please take the advice of Kiki and get this figured out before even considering getting any more!! Poor birds is right. :(

I have a very strange and interesting problem that may be hard for y'all country folk to understand. I live in Manhattan new york in a small apartment and I decided to raise quails as pets!?!? I have provided them with a reasonable 6ft by 2ft Brooder. their water supply is always accessible though they don't seem to drink it, To solve this I drop fed them water every hour. Their food supplies are made up of A few live Crickets, Dried mealworms, and Wagner's wild bird feed (The mealworms and seed are ground together) they seemed to be happy until one by one they all died over a 2 week period. their water supplies had a few vitamins to keep them in shape and they never showed signs of being too cold or too hot I can't seem to find a reason for there death...

(Forgive misspells and grammar issue I'm Scottish English is my second language)

(I will respond to as many responses as possible)
(I speak Scottish Gaelic and recently learned English I know English is spoken in Scotland)
Years ago, I kept button quail as pets. The adults mated, eggs hatched, but I had a similar experience. In my limited experience they are hard to brood in captivity. I would keep trying however, they make such wonderful companions.

Your chicks died because they were:

Dehydrated
Over heated
Or
Malnourished.

Take your pick.
disease is still possible. I hope you did not have face mask on them! Just kidding, but there are many ways a chick can die. Some are out of our hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom