My chicks and brooder :)

scoopy82

Songster
9 Years
Dec 19, 2010
Victoria - Australia!
Thought I might have a small brag as I am in love with my new babies!
I turned off the incubator yesterday and opened the remaining eggs to find 3 duds and a chick that i know i cooked
sad.png
but out of 8 eggs - 5 were viable and I hatched 4 live chicks, so 80% success which i imagine is great for a bator with no fan, thermostat and random temperature swings.
They are now in the brooder, and while I'm having some trouble regulating the temperature there also, it is large enough that they can move around to find the perfect spot. It just so warm through the days and cold at nights here, I'm constantly lifting and lowering the light.
74138_003.jpg

Anyway, I built them a perch just before, I am amazed at how clever they are and how quickly they learn! They sent off the alarm chirps when I put it in, 20 minutes later they were on it and loving it! They are only 3 days old!
74138_006.jpg

Nice!!

They look very content!
thumbsup.gif

Mine just now showed signs of wanting to roost.

I added a couple larger, funky shaped branches and leaned an old axe handle up on one side. They love it!!

At night, I like to put some "top" or "roof" over some of the brooder box. No need to try and seal it up, but closing off half the "roof" will hold considerable heat. Closing off 2/3 of the roof, will assist another degree or two. Yeah, it's fussy to place roof planks on at night and take them off during the day, it works.

Back
Top Bottom