my chicks and ducks are 5 weeks can i put some hay in there brooder ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickens&ducks_RULE, Aug 12, 2010.

1. chickens&ducks_RULE

chickens&ducks_RULE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    South Wales!!
    hey, my chickies and ducklings are 5 and a half weeks old now could i put some hay in there brooder's as a nest-bed for them ??

thanks

~Daniel

2. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Sure you could. What are your post-brooder plans? Are you working on their coop/run?

3. chickens&ducks_RULE

Jul 27, 2010
    South Wales!!
    and there brooder's are big plastic tubs

yeah there coop is done but we got to do the run

would 5 ducks and 8 chickens be ok in a 5ft long 3ft 6 inch high 2ft wide coop ? with a 5ft wide 4ft long run ?

with roosts inside the coop and the run so the chickens can get away from the ducks if thay wanted to

it will only be for a few weeks till thay start laying then thay go in with the adult chickens and ducks

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  4. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Seems like it will be too small. Can't speak for the requirements for ducks. An accepted space for standard size chickens is 2-3 ft each in the coop and 4-5 each outside the coop (run). If you plan on this set-up until they lay your looking at probably another 13+ weeks. By then they'll be packed in. Not to mention the ducks will mess that area up pretty fast.

5. chickens&ducks_RULE

Jul 27, 2010
    South Wales!!
    ah darn thats not good [​IMG]

my dad only just might have enough wood and wire to do the run and its the only spare coop i got [​IMG]

well the ducks aint really big yet and 4 of them are only starting to get feather's now i can keep them in the house for as long as i can

6. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

My chicks are the same age as yours and are loose in the yard

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by