My chicks are dying!!! Help!

chickenlady81

Songster
11 Years
Jun 10, 2008
Weare, NH
Ok so I bought some chicks and this is my first time shipping. I got BLRW and bramhas. I have since lost two blr and now one is in the brooder limp as can be and gasping for air. I dont think it has long. I hold it in my hand and its neck is limp and just lays there. What am I doing wrong??? I check them for pasty butt, they have plenty of food and water. They have heat lamp and an area where they could get away if to hot. Everyone else is eating and drinking its just a sudden thing. I dont know what else could be causing this??? Anyone got any idea's?

it is common to loose a few shipped birds after a week or 2 all settles down and everything should be fine. its a lot they go threw in the first few hours days of life.

But why does it have to be my BLR wyandottes
hit.gif

None of the bramha's that came with them have gone to chickie heaven.

I know how you feel. A dog got in my chickens last week. I have 50+ chickens, 5 of them are pullets I bought, so I would have colored eggs this summer.

Guess which ONE he killed ???? You are right, one of the colored egg layers.
hit.gif

hugs.gif

How old?
What's the temp of your brooder? Should be 96 - 98 degrees.(week olds or less)
Chick starter? or Medicated chick starter?
Electrolytes and vitamins in water? If not, get some.
Put a tiny drop of water on your finger and put it on the end of it's beak. see if it drinks.
Have the other chicks all died the same way?
Have you tried warming the "dead chicks" up?
A couple of mine seemed dead and my hubbie was going to throw them away I took them (because I like to save everything) I held them (warmed them up) gave them water drop by drop on the end of their beak and one started to drink....the others leg kicked. So I continued. They are both happy healthy chickens now!
But, mine were not shipped. They may have gotten tossed around in the box and hurt internally. Things you couldn't see. Supportive care and time and a lot of BYC advise works well.
Good Luck!

Quote:
Thanks alot. I have them on Medicated chick starter. I have the powder vitamin electrolytes and mixes it the way it say and they have that for water. Them temp is right around 85-90 degree's under the light. None of them seem to stay right under it, they always sleep just outside the light. They are about and week and a half old.

Back
Top Bottom