My chicks are gone, nothing left UPDATE: I found a chick*Graphic Pics*

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chicken0Boy, Mar 12, 2011.

1. I went out this morning to go let the chickens out, free-range, place with them, etc. , but when I got down to my coop I didnt here any chirping and my broody hen was outside with the others with no chicks. [​IMG] I started to freak out then. I opened my coop door quick to find no chicks. [​IMG] I looked all in my run and coop, but there was no blood, feathers from a small chick, or bodies. [​IMG] I am so sad right now. My run is mad4e of 2x4 wielded wire lined by some wood at the bottom so the chicks couldn't get out. All my grown bantasm are fine. Oh, and there are no signs of digging anywhere. I am stunned on what I could be, but I really want to know what got them so I can prevent it from happening again. [​IMG] Does any body know?

Edited for update; go to post #23 for pics!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  2. biddybird

biddybird Songster

May 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    If your pen is open on top Owls love chicks and hunt at night. Sorry for your loss! [​IMG]

3. Higins00

Higins00 Songster

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    You would be surprised how chicks can get out. Let the mom free range and maybe they will come out from hiding from somewhere.

4. PartridgeRckgal

PartridgeRckgal Songster

Feb 22, 2011
    A snake will eat chicks. A raccoon or opossum is also a possibility. I am so sorry for you loss [​IMG]

5. The top of the run is closed, and they have been free-ranging for a while now with no signs of chicks.

6. grammypam

grammypam Songster

Mar 16, 2010
    Oronoco,Minnesota
    I don't know what could have happened but I am sooo sorry! [​IMG]

7. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Songster

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    These were bantam chicke? How many? It could have neen a snake!

8. The were bantams, silkie x cochin. There were 3 all together. This is just so sad... [​IMG]

9. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Songster

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Sounds like the work of a chicken snake! All of my brooders and grow out pens are mad of 1/2X1/2 hardware cloth for this reason. I tried grown A&M quail in a pen that was 1X2 and the snakes still got them.

10. Hmm. Well that stinks! When I am done expanding my run I am gonna add a wall of 3 foot high hardware cloth around it. Would that prevent most snake attacks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: