My chicks are gone, nothing left UPDATE: I found a chick*Graphic Pics*

I don't know if that will work for snakes - they can really climb. Someone posted once about using spirals of chicken wire laying around the coop or run. The snakes try to go thru and get stuck and die.

Wow I didn't know snakes could climb 3 foot wire
ep.gif
. Does anybody else know anyways to prevent snakes?
hu.gif

Most chicken snakes here in Texas are 5'-6' so that would not even slow them down! I have 2 grow out pens that are 8X8 and they are hardware cloth from top to bottom.

could have really been anything. owl, snake, rats. 3 little bantam chicks need a good bit of protection

most likely. most garden and feed stores sell snake repellent, i believe it is sulfur dust.

Last edited:
I'm sorry for your loss. I'm thinking snake too.

We had a nesting pair of barn swallows under the eaves of our carport each spring. Last year I'd seen a black snake in the vicinity so I kept an eye on things. I checked mama and her chicks one night and all was fine. Half an hour later all her chicks were gone and that fat ol' black snake was sitting next to her nest. I was so mad. They're quick.

ETA: Bantams or standards it doesn't matter. A snake can fit through chicken wire to eat chicks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom