My Chicks Are Here!!!

They are super adorable and I'm sure your little sleepy girl will get more energetic in time. I did want to mention, just in case....I see that you are feeding them scrabbled eggs and someone mentioned yogurt to you. Just make sure that they have some paraket sand (purchased at pet store, walmart, etc) or something like that if they are eating anything other than their chicken starter. They need the sand in their crop to break down foods. (I by no means feel that this is a problem with your sleepy girl, just saying in case you didn't know) Congratulations on getting them! You will have so much fun and learn so much by watching them and raising them.
big_smile.png

I feed my chicks just starter crumbles for the first couple of weeks. After that if I give them anything else I make sure they have chick grit or if you have regular grit you can sift out the smaller pieces for them. I get my chick grit at our local Tractor Supply Company.

Good luck and have fun!!!

Last edited:
I only feed starter/grower for the first several weeks.
Hard boiled egg yolk the first 2 days.
Occasionally plain yogurt.
Egg yolk and yogurt won't require grit. Grit is needed to grind seed and grain.

You can probably tell if one is much more lethargic than the others. If so, separate it from the others. Probably too weak to eat regular food. Make a slurry of yogurt, water and a little honey/molasses/agave nectar and use a dropper to administer. If that doesn't perk them up they're a goner.

Also for your lethargic chick you can give it Poly-Vi-Sol (without Iron), one drop daily for a day or two. Usually when I have done this the chick was good the next day. I also put vitamins with electrolytes in their water for the first couple of weeks. I have used Pedialyte. Good luck and have fun!!!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, but the little yellow headed girl died this morning, I felt so bad
sad.png
There were electrolytes in the water, then I tried the sugar water, then the sugar water mixed with the starter. I knew it was bad when I picked her up and she barely opened her eyes, poor thing.

Thanks also for the info on the food, I just gave them the egg because that is what the book (Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens) had suggested. Would they need grit for the whites?? I mashed the whole boiled egg, not just the yolk. I did get some "starter grit" at the hatchery when I picked them up (for future use) but I thought it looked kind of big. Today I looked for parakeet grit at the pet store, but it said it had oyster shells in it and I didn't know if that was okay so I just skipped it. Everyone else seems to be doing very well, eating and drinking and running around. No pasty butts so far
smile.png
The other Wyandotte girl is a little maniac in there! I could watch them all day
lol.png

Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens is my chicken bible. Also Raising Chickens for Dummies is good.

Quote:
They can eat the whole egg without grit. They only need grit when eating things like grass, shredded veggies, bugs and the like. Parakeet grit is not okay for chicks. All of it has a lot of calcium in it, which can wreck the little chick's kidneys. Parakeets don't even need grit--they give it to them so they will get the extra calcium, which they do need. They make chick grit and you should start giving them some sprinkled on their food a few days before you give them veggies or grass.

I am so sorry your little girl died. Sometimes they look okay on the outside, but something inside is not right.

Back
Top Bottom