9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
Southeast Missouri
yippiechickie.gif
bun.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
woot.gif
I ordered chicks from MPC and they came in today! I kept waiting for an email saying they had shipped but when I recieved none I was dissapointed. I just knew I would have to wait till next week for my chickies but at 1:30 today I got the call that they were at the post office and I needed to come pick them up. Since I thought that I had another week I didn't have the brooder set up at all.
he.gif
barnie.gif
I have my 8 day old chicks in another brooder but I was told that I shouldn't put the two together because the older ones would pick on the younger ones. So I freak out and am running through all the barns trying to find anything that I could use as a temporary brooder when I find this old cow watering trough. ( I think i've seen a few of you guys use these as brooders before) After a bit of soap and water it looks great and I ran up to get the chicks. They all came through fine. All of them are doing great and I will post pics in a little bit. They are sooo tiny they kind of scare me. I have 6 Red Stars and 4 Easter Eggers. Anyway just wanted to let you all know about the new babies and I will post pics soon.
frow.gif

Here are the pics as promised. Sorry it took so long I couldn't find my camera.

100_1017.jpg

An overview of everyone.
100_1016.jpg

A lone EE. She is just soo cute.
100_1015.jpg

This one is a close up of my Red Stars

Last edited:
I ordered from MPC too at the end of Feb and they let you know in advance that you won't receive an email confirming that they shipped. They only send you out the one email thanking you for your order and confirming your ship date. I didn't have an issue at all mixing my different ages together, but glad that you were able to throw something together so quickly! Can't wait to see your fuzz butts!!!
big_smile.png

You CAN put different aged chicks in together. I got one set, then a week later another few, and then 2 wks later, another couple chicks. They all did fine.

Four weeks is pushing it and I wouldn't advise that, but 8 days? You'll be fine!!!

Really? They are so tiny I'm terrified the bigger ones will trample them! The older ones are like twice the size of the little ones but if you guys think it will be ok, I will try to move them together. It would certainly make the temperature easier to watch. Just one question though...If they can go down by 5 degrees in temp each week do I go by the youngest ages?

I agree that you should have no problem mixing them. If any of the new ones look weak you might want to keep them separated just for a day or two to build up some strength.

Yes, you should handle the temperature, water, and bedding for the youngest one. Because of this, last year I had rocks (instead of marbles) in the water for a little over three weeks. I also kept paper towels on top of the ping shavings for about three weeks. For the temperature make sure that directly under the heat lamp is 95 degrees and areas away from it are cooler. If you have a large enough brooder this will not be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom