My chicks are just hatching --do they eat feed right away?

PolishPoppy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 6, 2010
We bought them some saline water mix stuff from the feed store and medicated chick feed...once they are all out of their eggs, and dry, is that what they start eating right away? (the last time we had checks we bought them at least 2 -4weeks old) Thank you!I just want to make sure we did not miss something!

That sounds fine. Although technically, they can go without food for the first three days. The yolk they absorbed before hatching covers them for that amount of time. You are in essence, their mom. You will have to show them the food and water. So you will need to dip their beaks in the water and tilt them back so they can swallow. Mine figured out the food on their own once i Set them in front of it. Good Luck and congrats on your new babies!!

They usually won't be too interested in food or water for the first 12-24hours. They can survive on the yolk for 3days but will do better if they start eating before then. I usually wait until they are dry and standing well before putting the feeder and waterer in to cut down on drowned chicks or chicks stuck behind objects. They rarely eat it anyway. After most of the hatch is in the brooder then I add food/water and start tapping things to show them they should peck it. Tap it a couple times a day after that and they'll all have it figured out shortly with no need to force dip beaks.

Back
Top Bottom