My Chicks Are Not Hatching!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheNeonPanther, Mar 30, 2016.

1. TheNeonPanther

TheNeonPanther Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2015
    Conroe/Willis, Tx
    My Coop
    It has been 2 hours since they have first pipped!!! Im so worried!! is this normal?? am I overreacting??? Some sites say it says 12-18 hours for button quail to finish but I don't know!!!
    some are chirping and others are not!!! will they be okay???
    one made a largeish hole but that's it! the others have not done much.
    I have 5 that have pipped and 6 in the incubator in all.
    Should I do something or just do nothing?? (im not doing anything unless necessary. )

2. akchick76

akchick76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Alaska
    First, take a deep breath. Then sit on your hands. Pips can take 24-48 hours to become a zip and hatch. As long as they have a hole and can get air in and out, they are fine. I currently have 12 in lockdown and 2 hatched and the others are all pips. I just sit back and watch. What day are you on? I always give all eggs at least 3 extra days past day 21. Good luck and breathe. It takes a lot of work to get that first hole and they will build up strength and finish absorbing everything before they continue to zip.

3. TheNeonPanther

TheNeonPanther Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2015
    Conroe/Willis, Tx
    My Coop
    I checked them and made sure they had holes.
    I think 16/17. The incubator got stuck at day 5 so I am not sure, but that is when quail normally start to hatch.
    Thank you so much. Good luck with your hatch!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by