My chicks are panting!

Keggen

Songster
7 Years
May 24, 2012
Minnesota
They have had fresh water a few times today (because I cant keep shavings out!) and yet they are still panting. It is only about 80* here, so if they are already hot I am afraid what summer will bring! We're in Minnesota, so I wasn't expecting heat stroke type behavior so soon.
lol.png
But seriously, what can I do to help them? It is a bit disturbing to see, and I feel bad for them. Also when I do bring fresh water out they dont seem to be rushing to drink so I dont think they are really thirsty. We did a bowl of yogurt today hoping it would help, and some greens too. Didnt help that I could tell.

is there coop and run in the shade are they able to get shade? being in vegas this weekend I had to deal with the same thing but we were at 115. cool water shade and i keep spraying down there run with water that seemed to help also have air blwoing into the coop so if you able to put a fan on them that may help

They are still in their brooder, which is in their coop, so they are in shade. I have the windows open and have had the doors open part of the day. We have 3 wall vents and 2 roof vents. There is a slight breeze but not much, and probably not getting into the brooder can. They will be moving out of the brooder and into the coop in just a few more days. We are almost done with their run, but I cant let them out until it is completed.

I think I will get a fan, thanks for the idea!

Okay, please don't be insulted, but do you have a heat lamp on them? It may seem obvious, but so many folks are focused on keeping the chicks warm that they cook them.

That said, raise the waterer on some 2x4s or bricks or whatever until it's high enough they can't kick shavings into it. I put 2x4s in a criss cross pattern so the chicks have to hop up on them to drink, it keeps the waterer much cleaner.

Can you block off the coop from the run and let them into the coop at this point? It doesn't have to be permanent or look good, just blocked off with cardboard will work. Sounds like the air in the brooder is still and hot, having that extra circulation would help. At 80degrees birds shouldn't be in distress. How hot is it in the brooder?

No, I've had the heat lamp off since it has been about 60* at night. I am going to try to rig something up to let them out in the coop while not getting out of the coop. Its a shed that we re-vamped so its easy for them to get out through the doors. I know it would be bad to let them out in the yard at this point... we have too many wild animals that would come calling.

I think they just arent getting enough air because of the brooder. Im off to hook up a fan for now, and I'll see if I can block off their doors somehow so I can still get in without them getting out. Hmmm.

Back
Top Bottom