My chicks are TERRIFIED of me!

brittt13

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 24, 2013
So, my family recently bought 12 chicks and 2 ducklings. I love them and like to hold them but they all seem to be completely terrified every time I pick them up or get anywhere near them! I really like for these chicks to be easy to handle and to enjoy being handled. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get my chicks to be ok with being handled?

I would give them some time to get used to their new home, and get used to you. They're probably scared because they don't quite know their surroundings yet, just give them some time. Then see what happens, I would like chicks like that too! I'm getting some. What breed are yours?

When I first brought home my chicks I would just stand there and "cluck" to them just so they would get used to hearing me. Then after a couple days I would just stand there with my hand in the box, let them get used to being in there. I wouldn't try to grab them, but if they bumped into my hand, then I would try to pet them. After about a week, especially the slightly older ones, would come up to my hand and peck for food. Now, I have one that jumps into my hand whenever I put it in the brooder. The majority don't shy away as much, most will tolerate a back rub. so I am taking baby steps for them to get used to me.

I would give them some time to get used to their new home, and get used to you. They're probably scared because they don't quite know their surroundings yet, just give them some time. Then see what happens, I would like chicks like that too! I'm getting some. What breed are yours?

I have 2 barred rocks, 2 RIRs, 2 araucanas, 2 jersey giants and 4 "mystery chicks" that people from this forum have told us are more than likely leghorns.

Thank y'all!! I will definitely keep working with them. Hopefully they'll start getting used to me soon!

Chicks imprint on the first living thing they see after hatching. The same thing is true of ducklings. If you bought hatchery chicks who saw a hatchery worker the first thing after pipping, these chicks will imprint on humans thinking that humans are their mother or maybe just another chicken.

If on the other hand if your chicks were hatched the natural way, under a mother hen, the chicks in my experience are usually more standoffish, skittish, and are better able to deal with things that try to eat them and they also integrate into the flock better. Of course there are also vast differences between different breeds of fowl. Some being more wary than others.

What is your experience?

Sit quietly among your chicks but above all DO NOT TRY TO CATCH, HANDLE, OR PICK ONE UP. Once they trust you enough to climb over you to get at scratch food as you dribble it out between your fingers you may wish they were not so friendly.

Last edited:
I have done the same as akchick76 sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't. As chickengeorge2 says you have to sit quietly, let them calm down and get used to your presence before you introduce your hand. The Black polish I raised were by far the friendliest, right from the day I took them home from the hardware store. Even up through to their adulthood, they just loved being with anybody. Probably the reason I started raising chickens is from when I bought a second hand riding lawn mower that came with a trailer. The homeowner was selling his house so he gave me a good deal so he could get rid of it. I had to change the wheel bearing on on side of the trailer before I could tow it home. The whole time I was performing the job there was a chicken that basically hung out with me. Just milling around making soft clucking noises. I asked the home owner about it, and he said he had no idea where it came from but that it had been there about 2 weeks and if I wanted it I could have it. Well I brought "butters" home, and we have had chickens for the last 5 years since. I can only speculate was kind she was, she had a golden color to her. Yeah, friendly chickens are great!

Hey every one!!! Thanks for the help!! My chicks have grown SO much and will now let me pet them though they are still a bit skittish. I have one that RIR that follows me everywhere and will do everything she can to be the center of my attention (until I try to pet her, then he runs away) haha

Back
Top Bottom