My chicks didn't make it.

Point taken, believe me!
Although it is difficult to see shipment after shipment of chicks go through my post office successfully and then see one of them die and a few weeks later have yours do the same. The vast majority of them go through very successfully.

I am sorry for your loss.
Lots of good points made. I would add that you have no control over how the chicks were handled prior to getting to your PO or where they were routed. It is very likely that the majority of the chicks were handled with compassion as lives, and some were handled as cargo.
sad.png

I'm so sorry for the loss of your chicks...
sad.png
I don't think it was vaccinated against not vaccinated, I think it was the cold... and your box sacrificed itself for the other box...With this weather, it's just been too darned cold...

Last edited:
Thats sad about the chicks but it is really cold for chicks to be sent. I wonder why they dont deliver like the plant catalogs. They should go by the zone of delivery. I've been patiently waiting for my chicks that I ordered in Dec. 06 but would not have them delivered until may 21 I've looked at my MM catalog over & over again just waiting & waiting until may

Sorry to hear about your loss. I too just lost 100 from the same place. And another lady 25 on the same day at our office. I think part of the problem is they are not being forth coming on the hatch date on the box. They had my hatch date as 18Feb. At 430am 19Feb I got a call from my PO stating that they were in and all had died.
sad.png
I know that they didn't get them here that fast on a holiday weekend. That would be Express mail timing.

I wondered the same thing. From Iowa to Alabama in a day is pretty darn fast.
I also did some research. The low for Iowa the day my chicks were sent was 3 degrees. It wouldn't matter where they were going. At that temp, they are already in peril. Now, the question is, if they have these thousands of chicks set to hatch on a day when it will drop to 3 degrees , what are they to do? Not send them? If they don't, what will happen to them? Should all hatcheries just wait till temps are expected to rise to safe levels before they start to hatch the eggs?

You are talking about predicting 3 weeks in advance what the weather will be and the couple of days after in order to ship. About impossable if they are not set up to keep all the offspring to sell as full grown. The 7 I bought locally are doing fine and I believe the weather will be better this week.
cool.png

I'm sorry about the chicks, poor lil things. I can only imagine how disappointed you must be. I ordered chicks to be here in late april and i can't wait for them to get here. When are they going to send your replacement chicks.

Back
Top Bottom