My chicks don't like me :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Eliz, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Eliz

Eliz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    When I try to pick them up they chrip loudly and almost screaming-like.

Did I do something wrong to them or will they come around?

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    That's what most chicks do. How old are they?

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Eliz, it's not in a chick's nature to like people at first. We're very large compared to them and their mind is set to watch out for predators...we're very large and we come at them; just like a predator.
    They can however come to like you, some may even become pets. Talk quietly to them, spend time just sitting near them talking about just anything. Pick them up slowly and hold them close. Be sure and support their feet. They don't like to feel like their dangling in mid-air. It helps to get down closer to their level, rather than towering above them. As they start to get a little older, offer them treats. Treats are definitely the way to a chicken's heart. If they don't come to like you they will at least get used to you being around and as they get older and braver some will even come to you, instead of vice versa.
    I think alot of people have the misconception that all their chickens are going to be like cats and dogs. Again, that's not in their nature. While you may get one or two chickens that think humans are the next best thing to food, the reality is that most of them tolerate us for the benefits we provide.
    Good luck.

4. The Monkey Mama

The Monkey Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Kennesaw, GA
    I agree with everyone else - all our baby chicks have been like that - you'd think we were murdering them when we even got close to them.

But as they get older, they first learn to tolerate us and then, so far, they have all learned to like us and follow us around [seeing us usually equals food and treats LOL!].

Some of it might depend on breed - our buff orpington and black australorps are the friendliest by far, but even our flighty and more wild auracana has learned to like us a good deal and is usually right at my feet whenever she can get to me now.

Give it time and keep working with them, they will like you one day. [​IMG][​IMG]

Kelly

5. bionic_chicken

bionic_chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Spring, TX
    Keep handling them, gently. My girls are almost 9 weeks old. At night, DH and I each hold a chick on our laps while we watch TV or talk. We just stroke their feathers and rub their necks. They make the sweetest little "peep peeps" and fall asleep in our arms. Mind you, they are now the size of youth footballs and have really sharp nails, and they even cluck a little. But when we're holding them at night, it's "peep peep" just like when they were the size of jumbo cotton balls. Don't get discouraged. They will love you.

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Mine babies are 3 weeks old. I've noticed that our Rhode Island Red acts like we're committing bloody murder when we pick her up. She squacks & complains so much! The other two seek out my lap now & today, for the first time, jumped ito my lap when I was sitting in a chair in the backyard. They've jumped into my lap when I've been sitting down but the ground to lap is new. Give them time. [​IMG]

Hmmm... I asked my DBF tho, if this is going to be a problem at some point in the future.

7. VanSintjan

VanSintjan Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2008
    Belgium
    Wet your fingers and dip them in the chicken food and wait patiently for their curiousity to make them eat from your fingers. When they are safe wit that - play with your fingers in the food and they will chase the movement. Spend time with them and talk with them while doing this. With our four weeks old I can barely open the cage before they are climbing my arms. We need to be two people to change water and food. One for the chicks to climb on and one for doing the job.
    The ones born last Monday and Tuesday are still a bit shy but food is the key.

8. Eliz

May 16, 2008
    Well I am gald to know the is not just me. [​IMG] They are black sex links an around 3 weeks old.

Now Blue Opington was my first choice in chicks but had no luck finding them until NOW!!!

Some of you may know about GORDIE'S Blue ORPS. Well I just go an email and I will be gitting some this week!!!!!! I need some one to help take some. He is sending 12 but I can't keep them all. If you are interested check out my post about them I just posted.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=65348

9. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Even though mine like to be picked up and often fly to my hands, shoulder or head, they usually scream!
    It's what they do...[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  10. Eliz

May 16, 2008
    yeah they scream but don't fly onto my hands. Once I pick them up and they will quiet down but given any chance will fly away!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by