My chicks don't peep much...why??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    This is just the weirdest thing. I have a new hatch of 7 mottled bantam cochin chicks from our hen and roo. These chicks hardly peep at all and when they do, it's very softly. They eat and drink fine...just don't make much noise. I'm so used to a loud brooder. You would hardly know they are there.

Anyone else have this experience before??

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    IMO a contented chick, one that's not hungry or cold, won't peep a whole lot. They're too busy learning about the world. All is right with their world. [​IMG]

3. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Enjoy it while it last.. [​IMG]

4. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    None of mine say much unless they are hungry, out of water or are too cold. Then they let me know about it. I would say they are happy is the reason they aren't saying much.
    Chris

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd say they're contented. If mine start peeping a lot I know there's something wrong.

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I guess so...I'm hoping that's it. They just seem like such a sweet little bunch of cochins. Their mama and daddy are very laid back...maybe just got their personalities.

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Mine only peep when they see me coming.

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I wish I had that problem!! I have one chick in the brooder right now whose mama abandoned it, and it won't SHUT UP!! If I am in the room where it can see me then it just peeps quietly, but as soon as i leave the room, OMG!!

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:OT- shelley are you saying it's alone in the brooder? If so, try adding a chick-sized stuffed animal or a hand mirror to keep it company.

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I tried the animal, I'll have to try the mirror next. I was thinking of putting it back with mama tonight, to see if she will take it. It was only about 6 hours old when we stuck it under her, with her having day olds already. I think she left it cuz it was too slow. They (the hens) seem like they sit on the chicks for a day or so, until they can get around pretty well, and since this one was so young, it wasn't getting around very good. It is only 2 days old now, I think, and I have a hen that is hatching now, so maybe I'll give it to her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by