My chicks keep dieing! What am I doing wrong?!

I lost 2 out of 8 Buff Orpingtons chicks at 3 days old. I think they choked on pine shavings. The remaining 6 are doing great at 5 weeks old.
smile.png

I agree things just happen sometimes I lost 3 chicks in one day for no reason, so this is what I do when I raise under a broody

1. After I know she's going to set I put her in my broody momma apartment which is a large metal dog kennel with plastic hardware clothes around it and a heat lamp over it and her own food and water. I actually have to feed my silkie in her nest because she will not get off of it.

2. Week 1: After the chicks hatch I replace the layer mash with non medicated chick starter and make sure they all have clean water everyday

3. Week 2: Mom usually starts getting cabin fever so I let her out for a little bit but keep the chicks in the kennel and I start putting some hen scratch in the kennel and mom starts showing them how to scratch around it's really cute to watch

4. Week 3: Mom starts staying out longer and the chicks start wanting to follow so I usually let them out in the coop with me watching them for a little bit before putting them all back in

5. Week 4: Mom has usually had enough and gets to rejoin the flock during the day and that's when i usually put up the chickie fence so they can come out of the kennel and scratch around the coop but no one can bother them but everyone is back in the kennel at night when it's cold

6. Week 5-6: they start to have free reign in the coop and mom shows them where the flock feed and water is

7. Week 7-8 they get to go outside of the coop and mom shows then where the best goodies are

8. Week 8 and on they are full members of the flock and have their own feeder with chick feed but most of the time they eat what mom is eating and scratching around for the goodies i pitch out(apples,oranges,bread,egg and their favorite hen scratch)

It took me a while to finally get a system that works good for me

What's worked for me is much as what suzeqf said. The difference is when mama came out of the coop the first through 4th times, the chicks stayed inside. That's where I had their feed and water.From then till now they come out first thing in the morning and stay out. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks and they are outside with mama all day now, outside the run also. They don't get far away but they are basically free ranging now. Mama doesn't go with the flock as she has her hands or wings, are full and just doesn't seem to want too. A couple of them are not so nice to her or the chicks so she stays away with the chicks. ,

My only problem so far is the chicks knowing how to get back up the ladder to go inside. I've had to put some of them back in at night. They e haven't figured out the ladder deal. I did see them today practicing up and down the ladder. One thing that really supprised me is one of the not 3 weeks yet jumped and/or flew straight up about 20 inches to get on the ladder. Then she turned around and flew back down. Very independent little critters.
smile.png

Hey DG, I've been thinking about this and I'm wondering.. What other chickens do you have in with mama? Could this be an overzealous rooster or jealous hen?

I'm really sorry to hear about this…

I have a broody too right now that I keep indoors because of the temps but…

I notice she uh, steps on them a lot, scratches on them and even dust bathes…. ._. they sure take a lot of beating. Has your hen raised chicks before?

Actually I hear them ever hour or so let out a CHEEP! When she steps on one x.0 they're okay, but that's precisely why I am raising the smallest one separately. Is it possible your chicks have been trampled?

awww love. Based on your other posts I know how much you love & care for your feathered friends. Clearly you have done everything that you believed is right... trust me, sometimes all the love, care & kindness in the world just isn't enough... and what goes wrong isn't your fault
hugs.gif

was reading this threat and I have a question nobody has asked you yet!!!

Did you buy the chicks or did your broody hatch them herself? Where did they come from? Breeder, hatchery, BYC, Ebay, local farmer, etc....

If the chicks are all dying so close together is there a chance thhey could have an illness? Have you observed them to see if they are showing any symptoms?

Sometimes if they are sick and you don't realize it then even the best care in the world won't save them.

Having LF chicks under a small silkie hen right now with temps so low is not the best idea but as long as the coop is draft free and she has a cozy nest box she should be fine with a few. I have a silkie whos broody right now with no eggs. It was down to the low 20's last night here and when I put my hand under her to check for eggs it was so hot under her that she had some sweat! Hens especially silkies can make great mamas but like all things some are different. I bought a silkie hen from a lady once and she had a buff orpington who raised all the babies because she said silkies are bad moms! Well the hen I got from her was actually a great mom but she did take a few days to get good at it. is she showing the chicks where the food and water is? have you seen them eat and drink?

Wish you good thots

Last edited:
What are you feeding?
A good chick starter is a must.
I raise meal worms to supplement my chicks with a high protein feed
Also you must supply enough heat and they must be able to move in and out of the heated area
Watch also for poopy but. When the feces stick to the chick making it impossible to poop.
If this happens use warm water and mild soap to wash away
Sorry for your loss hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom