MY CHOOK CAN'T LAY DOWN FOR LONG...SHE OPENS HER BEAK TRYING TO BREATH

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Roziejonz, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Roziejonz

Roziejonz New Egg

Mar 13, 2008
    [​IMG] For a few weeks now, Maggie my 9 yr old chook hasn't been able to lay down and breath properly. She opens her beak wide and tilts her head back and forth then has to stand again after about 15-20 seconds.
    Sometimes she makes a loud squeak or high pitched sound, kind of like a cough I guess.

Poultry man at local vet suggested it might be worms so we have treated her several times.
    A bit of an improvement but she still can't lay down and it is really sad to see her like this.
    She is eating and drinking well and seems very content. She stands on one leg to sleep or just kind of squats without putting her body on the ground. We thought it could be heat exhaustion but even on cooler days she is like this.
    Can anyone help please. ? She is no longer laying, stopped about 14 months ago.
    We want to do our best for her.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    It might be gape worm...any growths or anything unusual in her mouth or throat?

Do a search for gape and see what comes up.

Hope you get some answers for her soon!!

3. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I agree, sounds like it might be gape worms. Not all wormers work for all worms. Check out my site HERE to see how to treat for them. Good luck!

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Have you checked her belly?

If it's soft and squishy like a water balloon, then she might be retaining water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by