My Chook keeps sitting down

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gingers, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Gingers

Gingers New Egg

Feb 18, 2009
    This might sound strange, but when I let the ladies out for their afternoon walk, one girl keeps sitting down all the time, while the others continually forage. I have checked her over and she seems ok, but I'm new to chickens so I don't really know what to look for! Any ideas?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Does she look in distress? Check foot pads for injuries? Any swelling? Stuck eggs? Closed eyes? Sleeping? Eating more/less? crop full or empty? Diet?

3. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    Maybe she is just tired. One of my chickens loves to sit down while the other one stands over her.

4. Rustywreck

Rustywreck Chillin' With My Peeps

Some of my chickens do the same thing when there is snow on the ground and it is fairly cold outside.

5. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    mine love to "sun bathe".. they even roll slightly onto there side to soak up the sun
    could she be just enjoying the sun???

6. Gingers

Gingers New Egg

Feb 18, 2009
    Thanks all - I knew I might be just paranoid - she seems to be the 'strange one' out of the three, always goes off one her own while the other 2 are inseperable. Maybe she's just independent! Have checked her all over for anything wrong but all seems ok!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by