My city changed their laws...

Wel, here 5 dozen eggs from thw grocery store is $15 and i have to buy 5 dozen every week so thats $60 to 75.
I spend the same on feed for the chickens, ducks and turkeys to feed them each month. I made their coop out of chicken wire and pallets that were given to me. So technically its the same amount of money for me each month for more eggs from my hens. And once a year i have a chicken sit on about 15 eggs to hatch, and we sell them to locals. I get 8-10 dozen eggs per month.

5 dozens for $15 ? really? that's the price of eggs in the city ?

eggs are pretty cheap around here..

if i have time i'll post a picture.. it's on my phone.. if they fixed the problem with uploading pictures via mobile on this website..

Yes, i just posted a few from my mobile. Where in az are you?
And yeah, i thought $15 was outrageous as well... but its definitely how much i pay. Ill have to take a pic for you as well.

This is off topic of the original post, but in reading I noticed the egg price post... Yup, we see close to those egg prices where I am from also. I am in a rural area and occasionally we get (every few months) a $.99 a dozen sell on medium eggs, but for the most part you're paying a pretty penny. Just a few years ago I was paying somewhere around $7-8 for the big box (that's the 5 dozen right?) from the store, now that same box is somewhere around $13. It's crazy! I don't have eggs yet, and I doubt it'll save me any because I am spoiling mine already, but I doubt it'll set me back a ton after a couple of years pass.

As for the other, if the code department says you can't have them, are you positive the law was ok to have chickens in your area from the get go? I ask because around here, we have rural areas that code says no livestock (which they include poultry) but no one would ever know there was no livestock because all the neighbors have chickens and it's sort of just poorly (not at all) enforced.

Im not sure it ever was ok in the first place. I just noticed a lot of people who have chickens in my area... so i decided to get some of my own. But i have a much bigger piece of land than anyone inside city limits. So if for anyreason someone decides to "tell on me" I have a speach prepared. Haha.
I have been looking to buy a home where they allow chickens anyhow, so if push comes to shove, i will do so. I want the flock to have more area for themselves anyhow.

Yes, i just posted a few from my mobile. Where in az are you?
And yeah, i thought $15 was outrageous as well... but its definitely how much i pay. Ill have to take a pic for you as well.

I'm in phoenix az (maricopa county)

nope.. i couldn't find it

i guess i deleted from my phone

i'll take a picture of it again when i have the chance (or if i can find it)

a dozen is around is under $1 around here

organic/free range is around $5-$8 a dozen

you know EB eggs.. they stated on the box that their chickens are "vegetarian fed hens"

winco has their eggs for $3.66 for a dozen (caged eggs).. their cage free are even more expensive.

you have hickman's egg in your area right? i heard they are planning to open more factory farms in arizona..

even costco stores have hickman's eggs- they are pretty cheap

Last edited:
Im not sure about all the smaller dozen boxes. Only the large white come in the 5 dozen box here, so ive never really looked at the smaller boxes (have 4 boys that eat a BUNCH)... ill have to look when i go to the grocery store now that you mention it.

Im not sure about all the smaller dozen boxes. Only the large white come in the 5 dozen box here, so ive never really looked at the smaller boxes (have 4 boys that eat a BUNCH)... ill have to look when i go to the grocery store now that you mention it.

not many people can buy in bulk like you would..

5 dozens at a time is too many

you bought the eggs from a warehouse? (costco, sam's,etc.) since the local supermarket stores will not sell them in such large amount (at least the stores i visited)

All the grocery stores in this town have the 5 dozen eggs.
We have smiths, safeway, bashas, walmart. Have to travel 45 mins to bullhead if i want to go to sams club.

i have to double check

smiths? i don't know this one

we do have safeway, albertson, basha, fry's, sprouts, wal-mart, wincos, etc..

eggs are only good for about 20-30 days after purchase right or maybe less?

backyard eggs probably longer?

Back
Top Bottom